New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting Synthetic stocks?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got done inletting and bedding an MRC 1999 SA into a takeoff stock from a Win SA M70.

Let's say that I find it easier to work in wood than plastic. I used gray Marine-Tex which is very close to the dark gray of the plastic stock but there are spots where too much epoxy is showing.

The stock itself has some seams that I want to sand down so I figure I'll get the whole thing sanded and evened off then paint it. This is a hunting gun in stainless so I want to go with a black/gray solid or camo.

Any recommendations about materials and process? I see that Brownells sells a black "Krinkle" finish from Krylon, anyone ever use it?

Brownells also has some one shot cammo paint in spray cans, I guess there's more than one color in the can, any one try that?

Finally Krylon sells a "Fusion" line of sprays specifically for synthetic materials, any info? Open to all suggestions.

BTW, I got some advice from imhance about polarizing a tupperware stock with a torch before applying epoxy and I have to say it worked , the Marine-Tex seems to have bonded well.

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I have used the Fusion Paint on plastic lawn furniture and it works great.

I am sure it would work well on the synthetic stock but.................................

I never saw a color offered that I would want to put on a stock.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually they have quite a few satin colors that would be fine for camo, gray/black, hunter green/dark brown, colors that would be good for desert camo too.

I think I'll give them a try.

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is what i did on a lee-six plastic stock--i painted it with krylon fusion somesort of green then painted it od green over that then low sheen polyurethene. been about a year hasnt hunted much but been hauled a lot so far so good. looks pretty decent.

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
RecoilBob, Krylon actually makes a range of camo paints. I got mine at a Walmart, they come in flat with 4 or 5 color choices. I camo'd a .22 single shot bolt rifle for a young lad, and a Keltec Sub2000 and it's been holding up pretty well.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbrook
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to Krylon's webbing spray to add webbing to your stcok. It is pretty easy to use. I used Krylon's Satin Hunter green with black webbing
If I would do it again, I would use a darker green.

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/003/group_id/1353/K...pray-Faux-Finish.htm

Posts: 524 | Location: SE MIchigan | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the black "krinkle" paint on an MPI Fiberglass stock. I had rather poor results, with the paint wrinkling in some places and smooth in others. Overall, it was a disaster.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out a auto paint supplier. They usually will have industrial grade paints in rattle cans in a selection of colors. You should be able to get these in textured finishes as well. They probably will even give you apllication/finishing tips and help.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by browningguy:
RecoilBob, Krylon actually makes a range of camo paints. I got mine at a Walmart, they come in flat with 4 or 5 color choices. I camo'd a .22 single shot bolt rifle for a young lad, and a Keltec Sub2000 and it's been holding up pretty well.

thanks jeff, going to give it a try!
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by browningguy:

thanks jeff, going to give it a try!
jeffe

Yes, thank you Jeff, that's what I ended up using and the results were great. Easy to use, seems pretty tough and cheap.

Thanks for the recommendation.

posted Hide Post
I have used the Krinkle paint successfully. The trick is to put it on something thick wnough for it to pucker-up and krinkle as it dries. It seems to do this rather rapidly, and to get it to happen ypu must have the thing you are painting in rotatiion as you paint. If you don't rotate you get runs or sags. You also hve to get the paint on thick enough but not too thick. Through getting the thickness of paint just right you get the wrinkle i.e. pucker as the drier quickly evaporates.

Posts: 49 | Location: Elyria, Ohio USofA | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote