Find
Notify
Tools

25/06 to 257 Roberts, set back the barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
Looking at a Savage/Stevens model 200 in 25/06, want to know if the barrel can be set back and rechambered to .257 Roberts (old standard not Improved). How much set back is required?
I keep trying to do the math myself but I'm not sure if I'm figuring enough leeway, help me out please.
Would like to buy one of these cheap shooters to play with and the cheapest long action versions are the 270 and 30/06 guns, the 25/06 for some reason is a little more but if I can save some money by setting that one back and getting rechambered I'm in business if there isn't enough "beef" to set it back then I'll just buy a 30/06 and a new barrel in .257 Roberts, get where I'm going?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big-foot
posted Hide Post
Setting it back 3/10s would clean up the shoulder, neck and length but the standard Bobs taper is much less so unless you go Imp I'm guessing 1/2" or so. I'd get the 06 version and buy an extra barrel in 257 Bob for $150. The setback/rechamber labor would probably cost that much and this way you get a free 06 barrel, everybody needs an 06 anyway.http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=718000

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey Bigfoot I agree everybody needs an '06 and I have'm already. Are you saying that taking up 1/2" or so is not do-able on the 25/06 barrel?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big-foot
posted Hide Post
Sorry I don't know. It depends on how many threads are there or if there's enough barrel shank to cut more threads, mines a bull barrel .223 with lots of room. I just figured it would be more practical to swap barrels and I wanted you to be aware of the inexpensive barrels out there. You could always sell the 06 barrel and recoup part of the Bob barrels cost.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i would just load the 25-06 down...

you'll need to come back 3/8

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys
Having a 25/06 and loading it down mathematically computes but hardly can have the same feeling if you've had a lifelong connection with the 257 Roberts, and are looking to continue the relationship.
I too came up with about .375" thanks for confirming that.
How can I readily discern that the rifle with the barrel I get (25-06) can stand to be cut down .375" and be useable. I don't have one in my hand so how can I find out?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you would be better off just buying a different rifle in .257 instead of butchering up a new rifle to lessen the usability of the rifle. Plus you would KILL the value of the rifle although the rifle you are trying to convert isn't all that expensive in the first place.

Posts: 144 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Reelman what I'm talking about is not to turn out as a butchery and you are right we aren't talking about hacking up a pre-64 M70 or a fine Mexican Mauser. I'll end up hunting the hell out of this rifle not really abusing it not making it for resale. Besides don't know if you've noticed but the choices for a factory chambered 257 Roberts are limited indeed and I've persued those avenues already. I appreciate the opinion though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just buy a 257 Roberts barrel and a barrel nut wrench from Steve at http://www.savageparts.com? You could probably sell your 25-06 barrel on Ebay to offset the cost of the new 257 barrel. Or, you could buy an A&B barrel from Midway for around $100.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote