Find
Notify
Tools

Dakota 3 Position Safety
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted
Did Dakota quit making their Model 70 type 3 position safety for Mausers? I usually use Wisner, but now I need a 3 position one. All the dealers are out and say, discontinued. Which usually is bad.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Dakota myself. I bet the only ones to be had in this day and time are either Gentry or New England Gun.

It sure seems to be getting harder and harder to build A Mauser.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, the Recknagel imported by NECG) is the "go to" I've found the Dakota flag is not positioned well...little too far to the rear.

Used three Gentry's...nice looking, but issues with thread timing.

La Pour was the most technically advanced, but he;s discontinued production.

As long as suppliers are under the unrelenting pressure to produce at a "price", I don't see much room for optimism

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at Dakota website and all they had listed was rifles and ammo best I could tell.

Come to think of it the last Gentry I had didn’t line up. Seems like I had to take it to my machinest buddy that bails me out and he fitted it.

Of the 4 Mausers I’m working on, two are barreled, but all 4 have 3 position safety’s. Once I get these done, stocks finished etc. will probably be the last Mauser I do. Getting to hard to find parts and pieces. Timely sent me an email the other day and said they could not give me a date on the trigger I ordered.

At the rate I’m going I’ll die of old age before I get them done. LOL!!

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a new in the package spare.
PM me.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, Recknagel is nice; cost much more than the Dakota did and they worked well for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug, if nobody here is interested I would be.

Posts: 1145 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dakota was/is owned by Remington (Arms). Nothing coming out of Remington or Dakota right now. You got guys crying for Rem 700 extractors and bottom metal right now. I've read several threads where guys can't get a hold of Dakota for anything. Probably ought'a suck it up and call NECG. I've got several of both , Dakota and Recknagel, but they ain't for sale except to clients I am doing substantial metal work for. Same with the Rem 700, Springfield and Mauser bits and pieces I have in inventory. Ya' should'a stocked-up! Everyone knew the Freedom Group (Cerberus) was in financial trouble, and about to be sold off.

Posts: 698 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No Mr Silvers, I had no idea....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kda55:
Doug, if nobody here is interested I would be.

Sorry I only had 1 extra and it is shortly on it's way to DPCD.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I may have a 3 pos. have to wait till after Jan/2 to check. Not sure whose

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Wisner 3 position safeties the last couple of times. Great product at a great price.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Dakota, Gentry, LaPour and Wisner. Had issue with all except Wisner amd LaPour.

You use the Dakota and Gentry, you spend your money, you take your chances.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Richj- pm me with info when you know. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I still make and stock them. I probably have at least 25 right handers in stock right now.
https://satterleearmsrifles.com/parts

Posts: 1214 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like your design Stuart. Classic.
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
I still make and stock them. I probably have at least 25 right handers in stock right now.
https://satterleearmsrifles.com/parts

Posts: 581 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice to know Stuart, I have used yours and they are in the top choice.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
.. Wisner and LaPour.

Same thing - Ed bought Jim's design, iirc

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
.. Wisner and LaPour.

And our own Nathan Meyer (Fal Grunt) bought LaPour.

https://www.myersarms.com/lapo...osition-bolt-shrouds

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I thought Pacific Tool & Gauge made one?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
thanks Doug!

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug W:
quote:
quote:
.. Wisner and LaPour.

I’m confused as heck... It looks like Nathan Meyer is going to make them for the Springfield, Enfield and M1896 but not the M98?

And I thought that Jim Wisner had was producing his M98 version again. I know that he listed a whole bunch for sale in the classifieds about a year ago. I would try calling him.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is my position; I will use them for $150; I will not use them for $250. For that price I will just use Model 70 actions. Even the TC Compass has the side swing safety.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I assume you mean 2 position? I don't know of anyone making a 3 position for $150.00.

When diesel got close to $5.00 a gallon...lots of bitchin, but anyone I knew just hoped they would keep on making it

Never had anyone bitch about an extra $100.00 on a custom rifle

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The Dakota 3 position was $150 for many years; I used at least a dozen of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
quote:
quote:
.. Wisner and LaPour.

I’m confused as heck... It looks like Nathan Meyer is going to make them for the Springfield, Enfield and M1896 but not the M98?

And I thought that Jim Wisner had was producing his M98 version again. I know that he listed a whole bunch for sale in the classifieds about a year ago. I would try calling him.

Here’s the short as I understand it. Old man Wisner made the 3-position safeties, young man Wisner sold that business to Ed LaPour. I started out making parts for Ed, and wound up with the whole ball of wax.

I will continue making MOST of Ed’s safeties.

The last batch of parts I made for Ed were M98 bolt shrouds. He is working on them and hopes to have them done early 2021.

I have used Dakota, Wisner, Satterlee, NECG, Gentry, and one other odd one I can’t remember.

I have a world of respect for Wisner and Satterlee, they are both legends and extremely talented gun makers to me, but hands down Ed’s were the best of any that I used. When he discontinued his safeties that is why I reached out and asked if I could do anything to get them available again.

I stopped using Dakota maybe 10 years ago? I got 3 in from Brownells and all 3 had issues, including one being indexed 180 degrees off. Gentry are almost as bad as Dakota.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1489 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
I stopped using Dakota maybe 10 years ago? I got 3 in from Brownells and all 3 had issues, including one being indexed 180 degrees off.

I had this same experience -- sent it back, got a replacement -- but the tech didn't believe me, so I put a note in the box, and had him call me when he got it, and asked (and he did) to call before he tested it ...

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Send me all your Dakota safeties; I used many of them and of course they have to be fitted; so does every other one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
quote:
quote:
.. Wisner and LaPour.

Exactly....my same experience

Here’s the short as I understand it. Old man Wisner made the 3-position safeties, young man Wisner sold that business to Ed LaPour. I started out making parts for Ed, and wound up with the whole ball of wax.

I will continue making MOST of Ed’s safeties.

The last batch of parts I made for Ed were M98 bolt shrouds. He is working on them and hopes to have them done early 2021.

I have used Dakota, Wisner, Satterlee, NECG, Gentry, and one other odd one I can’t remember.

I have a world of respect for Wisner and Satterlee, they are both legends and extremely talented gun makers to me, but hands down Ed’s were the best of any that I used. When he discontinued his safeties that is why I reached out and asked if I could do anything to get them available again.

I stopped using Dakota maybe 10 years ago? I got 3 in from Brownells and all 3 had issues, including one being indexed 180 degrees off. Gentry are almost as bad as Dakota.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
The Dakota 3 position was $150 for many years; I used at least a dozen of them.

Bygawd..you're right...$154.00!!! Still...Not me!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Send me all your Dakota safeties; I used many of them and of course they have to be fitted; so does every other one.

Love to know how you fix the threads?

popcorn

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1489 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I never had that issue with any of the ones I used. They indexed up correctly. Their fixture must have slipped. Of course, that would be a major defect. I read that the defective ones were ten years ago; I only used them in the last 6 years or so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Love to know how you fix the threads?

popcorn

With gentry it was easy. Just mail them back and they will send new ones correctly timed. Doubt Dakota is as easy. But never had a bad one. Maybe lucky I guess

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does a major manufacturer (or a small one man production shop, for that matter) send out parts that won't fit and work? It is so easy to set up a gage block or standardized part to install it on and check it for QC before it goes out the door. As long as the final user has a rifle within spec, then the part should work.

I mass produce one gun part, in fairly small quantity. (About 500 a year). Every one is built on a fixture, and there are three separate steps in the 8 step manufacturing process where they are compared to the fixture and discarded if they don't meet tolerance.

As a final check, they are installed on a standardized fixture, and checked for correct operation before they go out the door. That step adds maybe 2 to 3 minutes to the overall manufacturing process. But, it insures that if an end user calls me up and wants to chew my ass or troubleshoot a problem, I absolutely know that part, as shipped, worked and worked correctly on a standard dimension rifle. Starting from that basic fact, we can then troubleshoot why it doesn't work on theirs.

I can't believe that Dakota doesn't have a fixture that they thread the shroud onto, and if it doesn't index within a certain amount of dead center, it gets discarded or corrected. That would be an essential part of QC. I know Gentry had the alignment problem when the younger generation took over for the older one, but that was probably a lack of experience. A few returns should have corrected that lack; that probem was at least 6 years ago, should be old history now.

Posts: 1104 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote