New
Find
Notify
Tools

Screws
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys, I found out the two possible screws I need to mount the tang sight on my Remington 14. They are 6-44 UNEF or 5-44 UNF. Does anyone know where I can possibly find these in a fillister head? Also, what on earth does UNEF stand for? Thanks!

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It doesnt seem to come up anywhere, and I thought this like was kind of funny.

It must be from yrs back.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?p=dict&String=exact&Acronym=UNEF

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this site (scroll down to specifications): screw pitch specifications

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have made screws on the lathe with a just a lathe, and I have made screws on the lathe with a die to cut the threads.

I suggest buying the die.

adjustable 5-44 die at J&L

I think they put the same die picture in the website for all the dies. This on does not say 5-55 on it, but I have bought specialty dies like this from them, and they send the right ones.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Inasmuch as the old Rem. 14s don't have a lot of collector value unless in truly mint shape, I would tend to drill and tap those holes for a standard size screw, such as a 6x48 or 8-40 or what ever is a tad larger.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Model 14 1/2 was 6-48.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote