New
Find
Notify
Tools

got a lathe, now a question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hell of a deal on a South Bend. Like new, used all of a couple of times before owner passed away. 13X36 with a 1 5/8 spindle bore. Has 3 and 4 jaw Buck chucks and the 5C collet attachement.

http://www.southbendlathe.com/g26t.htm

Now, what are some better styles or brands of indicator holders for indicating work in the headstock? I'd like to get some good inspection/measuring equipment for this lathe and get that set up before moving onto the mill.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice lathe.

Indicators and holders in order of my personal preference: Starrett, Brown & Sharpe, Mitutoyo, Fowler, SPI

The truth is that even the cheapest Chinese indicators can work for you to do precision alignment. The big difference is in how sturdy they are, resistant to drops and shop catastrophes, and how many plastic parts they may have in the holders, etc. Quality stuff lasts longer than cheap stuff, and it is much more fun to use.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 329 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Starret magnetic base and an Interapid with 2 .030" revolutions up and down. I have two and have had them for more than 30 years. I have an attanchment, a long 3/8" rod, entending back from my lathe that supports the inidcator when indicating in the opposite end of the barrel. It is about 12" long. There are quite a few fellows here that use an idicator with a long probe to get into the barrel where the throat is and get that running true. I would suggest getting a number of plug gauges to insert in the bore when getting the barrel trued up in the lathe.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Starret magnetic base that looks fancy and has a nice button, but is no more functional than the cheap Chinese mag bases.

I also have a Swiss test indicator that reads in .0001" increments.
You can chamber a barrel just as well with a cheap Chinese that reads in .001" increments.

There are more important things, like the spider, the steady rest, the cutting tools, how you push the reamer, what you have to shove up the bore for a spud, how you grind the cutters, how you align the cutters, and getting the tailstock lined up.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would strongly suggest spending the money for the Starrett mag bases. They cost more, but I have found them to be stronger and more steady than other brands, especially the cheap Chinese mag bases. I still use a couple or three cheap bases, depending on what it is I am doing, but for anything precise I use the Starrett

Starrett now makes something like 40% of its parts in China, but in general it is good stuff. I am liking Mitutoyo more and more these days too. I am going to get a new test .0001 indicator pretty soon, and think I will go with Mitutoyo or Interapid this time.

My favorite dial indicator is a Mitutoyo. But even here the cheap CHinese stuff can be useful. At times I get it close with the cheap indicator and then put on my Starrett .0001 test indicator for final adjustment. These fine indicators usually only have +/- .004 range, so I just get it that close with the cheap indicators and do the "real deal" with the good stuff.

as for dialing in barrels in your headstock, I drilled and tapped a hole in the backside of my lathe. I made a bar that runs parellel with the spindle bore and is about 3" from the center of the bore. I use regular indicator base attachments to hold a dial indicator back there to dial in the muzzle. What I do is dial in the bore on the chamber end, then dial in th emuzzle, then check the chamber end again, making minor adjustments if needed. I use the long indicating rods that are made by PTG. I have posted pics of this arrangement here before, so you may can find them if you do a search. I just did a quick look on my hard drive, but could not find it.

Good luck with your neww lathe, she's a pretty one!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,
You lucky SOB! I called not too long after that add came up and finally heard from the guy today that it was gone. I figured it was gone. His voicemail box was full after a day and a half. Congratulations. Please don't tell me that it also came with the steady and follower as well? If you are on the North side, can I borrow it?
Greg

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gzig5,
Yes I am one lucky SOB. This lathe was used all of 3 weeks and it's absolutely like new, only 5 years old. It has the steady rest, but no follow rest...I'll have to look for one that will work.

I was one of the first to call, and I told him I'd take it sight unseen, to consider it SOLD. I was there one day later to pick it up with the CASH in my hand. It was a 2 hour trip.

Thanks guys for the info, I can afford to buy some nice things for this lathe since I did get it pretty cheap.....

Matt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And you will probably need a spider on the back side. This is pretty much the way to go nowadays, much nicer and easier than the steady. If you are in the cities anytime, stop by and I will show you what my setup is. It is easier to understand than reading about it.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
I may take you up on that. I'll let you know as once in a while I get up to Faribault to visit relatives of mine. Thanks for the offer.

One final ?...what equipment companies do you usually buy from....Rutland, Traverse, Penn Tools, etc....????

Matt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually use J&L Ind.

http://www.jlindustrial.com/index.jsp;jsessionid=HTGN0E...IV0?_requestid=39567

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys the NOGA is a much better & faster holder. Once you try one you'll NEVER go back to the two arm or the snake segmented Starret.

I'd have to agree with the Interapid test indicator. They're great!

NOGA @ J&L

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1841 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying the Starret Base is junk. They make excellent stuff. The NOGA is just so much faster than the two arm Starret and it doesn't creep like the snake with the cable in the middle. You can set up a NOGA in about 5 seconds after you stick the magnet. Whatever you do, DON'T buy a Chinese version of the NOGA. They are junk. The NOGA is a very precise instrument and worth every penny.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1841 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MSC Industrial Supply 800-645-7270 Call and they'll send you a book you'll need a forklift to pick up.
J&L is good also but MSC bought them out and I don't know where that will end up.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote