Find
Notify
Tools

Parts swapper
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
Get a grip. You can never have enough parts. The extractor on a Mauser (Steyr) I'm finishing has a loose grip on the rim of the case. Open the bolt and the cartridges fell off. 2 extractor swaps later and I think it's all fixed.

Rifle likes 140gr and I4350. I think.

Is it also acceptable to tap (bend) the end of the extractor closer to the bolt face???

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes.
Also can try swapping collars to gain more tension.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Get a grip. You can never have enough parts. The extractor on a Mauser (Steyr) I'm finishing has a loose grip on the rim of the case. Open the bolt and the cartridges fell off. 2 extractor swaps later and I think it's all fixed.

Rifle likes 140gr and I4350. I think.

Is it also acceptable to tap (bend) the end of the extractor closer to the bolt face???

Any Mauser extractor I have seen will break before it bends tu2

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Come on down and I will show you a few dozen that won't.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Go with dpcd..

He will probably agree:
Make sure the inside of the extractor at the collar seat is free of any dirt that would cause it to be seated too far forward.
Next:
Collars wear along the edges and loosen up inside as well. You will feel any slop moving the extractor fore and aft with the bolt out.
As for tips, I found them not to be hard, the 3 I had stoned & polished according to Duane Wiebe's direction did not feel hard or brittle.
Go with dpcd.
My experience with any bending is that go slowly, take your time, checking clearance every couple of taps with a light hammer and a piece of thin hardwood so you don't go too far. Bending back & forth just one time can cause a crack or weaken the metal real quick.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5182 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a spring. Get it red hot over 1350 where you want the bend to be, bend it, get the whole thing red hot again, quench and temper.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote