Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of action is a savage...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Having not seen one in a long time...is it a push feed, CRF, or some kinda hybrid?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Push feed with a simple lever type extractor.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Elk Hunter:
Push feed with a simple lever type extractor.

My 300WSM captures the round as it slides out of the magazine even if you only push it 1/4 of the way. It holds the rim and pulls it back against the fixed blade ejector.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Didn't they offer a CRF in 458 win for awhile? I always wanted to see one up close.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Frank,

What model do you have...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Frank,

What model do you have...

I have the model 11FL which is a left handed blue steel version with the synthetic stock. I bought it about three years ago and it is pre-accutrigger.
Both of my old 110CL's are push feeds but this one is totally different.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
All the Savage WSM models are a modified CRF, with a bolt face open to the bottom, and the ejector on the bottom at the rear of the action. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
So their model 116 SE, the stainless, muzzlebraked, express sighted, crossbolt reinforced "Safari Express", would be a feasible DGR in .375 H&H or .458 WinMag???
Greetings from Old Europe!
Jake C. (DGR-Fan)

Posts: 7 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The Savage action was originally designed as a production expedient in order to allow Savage to enter the bolt action marketplace with a less expensive alternative to Winchester, Weatherby, and Remington. That's the kind of action it was and is to this day. It's no Mauser 98, Model 70, or Mark V, but it wasn't designed to be.

At least it's reasonably priced, and at least it shoots. That's all that counts to many rifle buyers. The rifleman who understands, appreciates, and is willing to pay for a fine rifle won't ride with Savage as a rule......

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Allen,

Is there a reason that you never answer the question asked?

I didn't ask for your opinion on the quality...I aksed what kind of action is it PF< CRF, or Hybrid.

When most people ask specific questions...they want answers to questions not others persons personal pontifications...no offense intended becuase you may not realize what you are doing.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The current Savage 111FL is a push feed to answer your question. Just yesterday I took a new LH one to the range. It had the new acra Trigger and I picked up a box of ammom that was loaded for another rifle composing of 180 gr Noslers and 70 grains of RL 22. Trigger pull was approximately 2 pounds, very crisp, and every 3 shot group was under an inch. No tuning, no load developement, nothing. This has been my experience with every Savage I have owned. They are a fun inexpensive Accurate rifle to play with. My only complaints are the cheap syn stock and the magazine is hard to load.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
there's two save 10/110 style of feeds, if that's your question.

one is a pure push feed, works just like a remington 700

the other is the pcrf... you can throw one in the top, and it will feed fine, and it wil pick up one and lock it in the bolt face, fuctioning akin to a mauser.

the exact same thing is true for a ruger 77

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So why is it that Savages are so good right out of the box? The word in these pages is that they are not the tip-top in quality and workmanship, but they shoot better than Winchesters and Remingtons (according to some of the posts I've read here).

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Even though this ain't with the thread.....

rootbeer....I absolutley love that signature...LOL

That's the best quote i've seen in a long time. If that's yours....you'd better get a patent on her now. lol

Back to topic.

Not necessarily the answer to the question, but it's already been answered anyway.

Savages have a tendency to shoot real well for 3 basic reasons.

1)The chambers are normally pretty tight and concentric.

2)The headspace is held very close by means of the big "lock nut" on the barrel. This allows them to dial that tolerance in real close and consistent.

3)The action is round, and permits a simple bedding platform that will account for errors that can occur in the stock and barreled-action mating surfaces.

While purely looking at the function of the rifle.....They Work.

The cosmetics lean more towards dog puke on a persian rug. I've never owned one and won't, but that's just cause "life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun." Wink

I suppose it's the same reason that I don't drive a GEO Metro either.....It'll get ya from point A to point B, but damn, a guy has got to have some standards.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Mike, I do my best to answer questions in my own way, and to provide honest answers that I believe are pertinent to the question being asked. If I can do so in a way that provides additional insight that someone else may possibly overlook, so much the better.

'Politically correct' I ain't, nor do my answers always conform to proper forum protocol.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Savage 110 actions were initially a push feed but recent models have gone to a controlled feed system. That is to say, the cartridge slides up behind the extractor on feeding and the ejector in the receiver rather than in the bolt face.
They still use the same little sliding hook extractor which is some sort of berillium bronze or some damn thing.
There are aspects of the Savage action design which are interesting to me. The striker and cocking piece which does not influence the attitude of the bolt is one. The separate bolt head and gas baffle is another. The separate primary extraction cam, yet another. Even the bolt handle attachment is a pretty good one and the occasional breakage here is the result of faulty materials rather than a design flaw.
All in all the actions show some interesting approaches to design requirements. I'm not saying they are better solutions than Mauser's. Only that they are interesting and may indeed be better in some respects for some applications.Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought mine 2 months ago. It was a newly cataloged item. It is a push feed action. I cant see any changes in it other than the Acra Trigger from ones I owned previously.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote