Find
Notify
Tools

EVIL THOUGHTS, How bout a 33-40 Krag?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
I had a brainstorm at work last night. How about necking up my old 30-40 krag to .338? I think 2500-2550fps with a 200gr .338 pill would be realistic @ original SAMMI pressures. I could have someone rebore the barrel and not change the appearance of my dear departed dad's favorite rifle. I think it would be a real "stomper" @ iron sight ranges

------------------
Life is more exitin' when yer stickin' suppositories inta a wildcats behind!

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 01-07-2002).]

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't that be about the same as the .33 WCF?

WyoJoe

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably: My deceased uncle that used to hunt with my dad a lot had a 33 Win. in a Win. lever action of some type. That was his favorite gun. Actually I think that round is based on the 45-70 case. The reason the 33-40 Krag idea intrigues me is that it would only require a rebore job, feeding would not be a problem and I think I could easily modify my dies at work. I also think the 33 WCF was a different bore wasn't it?

------------------

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, the .33 WCF was the original .338" round/cartridge. The other early (pre 1950s) round that used a .338" bullet was the .33 BSA (British). Ironically, the .33 BSA is very similar in design to the .338 Win Mag. Belted case, etc.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Rich>
posted
33 wcf, 35 wcf, and 405 wcf are all based on the 30-40 case... I have always wanted to do a Krag in 405, but 33 or 35 would be an easier conversion due to the shoulder diameter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 33WCF is formed from 45/70 brass. I am looking for something that would not require modification of thr magazine.

------------------