THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Synthetic Stock for Springfield 1903?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guilty as charged...if you can't spoil yourself what's the purpose?

I've also never really heard of anyone building a sporter from an '03A3 action...but there are allot of things I probably haven't heard of.

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always read that the '03A3's were really strong...it's just the lack of smooth machining and tight tollerances because of hurried up war contracts that detracts from their desirability.

Some of the latter (early 1940's) produced Remington and Smith Corona '03's are guilty of this also though.

Either way...I love this action and think it makes into great rifles. Just my opinion.

Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never found '03's to be either hard to find or what I would consider to be too expensive.

It is not at all hard to find complete rifles in the $400 to $800 range...and I have never paid more than $260 for an action.

I guess it's all in ones perception.

Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got the most recent Gun Tests where they reported on a surplus Remington 1903A3, to my surprise they reported that the action was slick and smooth. I am reminded that the steels in the 03A3s were very tough and hard and these receivers are probably stronger even than a double heat treat 1903. Perhaps a DHT bolt in an 03A3 receiver might make a pretty good sporter, but as noted an awful lot of work would be needed to make the receiver pretty.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Originally posted by rick0311....
Guilty as charged...if you can't spoil yourself what's the purpose?

Yep....agreed.

Quote:

I've also never really heard of anyone building a sporter from an '03A3 action...

It takes more effort, and the shortcomings of the action are always there......the huge flat tang, the dovetail rear bridge, not to mention the rough finished bolts......but they can be made to look respectable. In recent years building rifles on 1903A3 actions has become more popular because of the price and limited availability of good 1903 actions.

I'm a hopeless nostaligic, and really like the Springfield as a hunting rifle or collector's piece. There are a few others on the forum that feel the same. Idared, vigillinus, 2mp.....among others.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have four Remington made '03 actions (all made between 1940 and 1941) and two of them are very smooth, machining wise, and the other two are a bit rougher but still very nice and tight.

I guess like anything made on an assembly line in a factory you will find differences in workmanship and quality control among the products no matter who the manufacturer is.

A friend of mine used to work in an auto assembly plant and he always claimed that the worst workmanship always seemed to occur either at the end of a shift (where people were tired and hurrying to go home)...or on a Monday morning due to hang-overs from the weekend!

Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
On reflection, a very early Remington 03 action ought to combine top metallurgy with excellent fit and finish, but I have never considered anything but DHT actions for sporters. Maybe I ought to broaden my viewpoint !!

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote