New
Find
Notify
Tools

Practice stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know of a source of practice blanks or inletted inlet PRACTICE stocks. Just good enough quality to get some practice on with some fitting/shaping and checkering?

Looked around and found some inletted stocks which would be OK but they are of a quality I don't feel comfortable practicing on.

Thanks.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sure, go to rifle-stocks.com and look in their seconds section

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39615 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, oddly enough rifle-stocks.com didn't come up on my google search for rifle stocks.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If you read their Ad for seconds it will make you think.

Factory Seconds are available in Right Hand Configuration ONLY, in Rollover, Monte Carlo, and Modern Classic Styles ONLY. Seconds are NOT available in Old Classic, Thumbhole, or Target Styles.

All Factory Seconds are made in California Claro Walnut, and come with a FREE Rosewood Tip & Cap

Why is it that they don't have any "seconds" in left hand?

Why aren't there any other type of walnut seconds?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I've picked up a 2nd in black walnut, it had a small knot under the forearm that I filled and when checkered wasn't noticable. If you browse thru the list you can find seconds of most varietys.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dressels sells pattern blanks for $40. These would be perfect if you think you will mess up.

BUT...my good friend and much superior stock maker Darwin Hensley and I have the same philosophy on learning how to make a stock. Use a nice piece of wood that is worth a lot of money to you. This will definitely make you think about every cut and plan every action before you do it. Being "puckered up" the whole time you are working on it will cause you to really focus on what you are doing and I think you will elarn more.

Dressel's

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
rifle-stocks.com

anyone ever use this one?
Safari Classic

CALIFORNIA CLARO WALNUT

Standard Grade Walnut - Will have solid and consistent grain flow throughout the stock. $59.97

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote