New
Find
Notify
Tools

reboring a 22 cheetah
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
question for the experts or anyone who has an opinion or an idea. i have a rifle chambered in 22 cheetah...the one with the sharp(40 deg???) shoulder. i dont have much use for that cartridge and all the case making headaches that come with it. but i love the rifle! i would like to have it rebored to something more useful and easier to feed. and yes, im cheap and trying to avoid the cost of rebarreling. my question...what cartridges would clean up a cheetah chamber without having to set the barrel back? its on a ruger short action. thanks in advance

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
when you say rebore, i assume you mean a larger caliber and rechambered, not just rechambered

a rebore and rebarrel are going to be very close in price .. and the body taper (which is part of the 40deg shoulder issue) may require another low taper case, or a larger one.. like a wsm...

you could rebore to anything larger than .225 bore, so likely a 243 but certainly a .257 caliber... a 25x308 improved... could be an interesting choice, as you have to pick your twist on a rebore...

but a 308win barrel, matching your contour, isnt much more dollars, and gives you "any round you want" rather than just those that would clean up that chamber as well

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well ammo guide says anything on the 284 case. Of course other 308 based AI and wsm with bolt alteration.

Like Jeff if I didn't like the Cheetah shape I would rebarrel. Then I have a lot more options.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a CHeetah MK1. It's basically the small rifle primer, 308 BR case blown out to maximum with the neck shortened to .220 inch "one caliber" so that the neck can be cleaned up and squared.
There is nothing on the -06/08 case class that will clean up that chamber and work in that action length without setting the barrel back.
As noted above, the 284 Winchester case will clean up that chamber and the 22x284 is a rather popular cartridge.
It should be noted that the 284 was well known for it's feed problems, just like it's more modern, Short Action Ultra Mag followers of today. I would try running a few cases through the action to get a feel for how it would feed before attempting the project.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote