New
Find
Notify
Tools

P14 receiver - where to go with it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I lucked into another Winny P14 receiver that's already been D&T'd and had the ears milled off. I suspect it's an old Century job but who knows?

Anyhow, it was missing the mag box so I ordered a magnum length box to drop in it and I eventually want it to be a .375H&H.

Question is - what mods to do to it?

Anyone got some pics of nicely done Enfields to give me some ideas?

I don't want to use a 3-pos win70 safety (I think?) and I want to keep it cock on closing (maybe) - otherwise I'm open to suggestions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They don't get any better than this....

Third Ultimate Enfield

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Here is my 30S, 458 Lott.

It has a Timmney trigger.
The hole in the bolt knob has been welded up.
Stripper guide milled off.
NECG banded front sight and sling barrel band.
Orginal Lyman 48 reciever sight.
Rust blued.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By keeping it push feed, I assume you mean cock on closing. A P-14 is definitely not push feed.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duh! My bad - I meant cock on cloaing of course. Stupid brain farts!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowcat:
They don't get any better than this....

]

Damn, no photos came on, glad they put a new bolt handle on though. The originals are "chunky".

So what is the difference, (apart from cal.) in the actions of the P-14 and M17 ?? Were all made in US ?

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both were made by Winchester,Remington and Eddystone.I'm guessing but I would say over 3 million between the two calibers.Eddystone most,Winchester the least.

Eddystone plant was set-up and run by Remington,but sold off during the war.

Differences:
Bolt face
Firing pin
Extractor
Ejector
Magazine
Fellower
Bottom metal

The 30-06 cartridge worked better in the action than the 303.

Weakness:
Ejector spring breaks and gas handling.

Winchesters have most value to collectors,Remingtons were the best made,Eddystones can be questionalbe

You can hunt longer with the wind at your back

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The description does sound enticing, but it's hard to visualize w/o pics Frowner Anyone got pics to post or send me?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This isn't the Third Ultimate Enfield, but it is another approach with some of the same ideas.
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../533100534#533100534

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I already saw that one - any one got pics of a Burgess rifle, or the System98 rifle?

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
My last one looked a lot like Hog Killer's, but on reflection, I like his better. Mine was in .450 Ackley Mag, but again, in today's market I think I'd prefer the .458 Lott that Hog Killer's is chambered for...very little difference in power (if any), and much more convenient to find ammo for and load. Also easier to make feed properly.

C'Est Tres Bon, Hog Killer!!

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a few pics of the 3UE, I'd saved the thread to a word doc, too bad the original pics areen't still up. Excuse the quality. If you would like to see others from the thread let me know and I'll convert and post them.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I really would like to see more photos! Especially, I'd love to see details of how the bolt release was shortened, how much material was removed from the front and back of the rear bridge, and also some details on how the ejector was reworked for the longer rounds.

Problem is, I can;t send my action to Tom or Ed Lapour, etc. b/c I'm in Canada, so I need to find enough detail for a cdn smith to do something similar to their work Frowner

one of us
posted Hide Post
These tow are the best that I can do-I don't have pics of the internal mods...

There is plenty of info out there on Enfield modification, Dunlop's book comes to mind. Use the search function here for more info.

Jay Kolbe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that you can;t get the Wisner bottom metal - who's making the hinged floorplates?

Also, I wish someone had details on converting the bolt release to the Mauser style.

Is it just a metter of heating and bending the tab back around, or is there more to it?

I also thought of maybe silver soldering a bolster to the back of the tab to press against the receiver - it'd be great though to hear how other's have accomplished that mod.