New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN Mauser won't feed........
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yep. My namesake that I had recently rebarreled jams about one in every 7 rounds. This is what happens, the chamber was cut by a benchrest gunsmith and the edges of the "mouth" of the chamber are knife edge sharp. The cartridge feeds with the bullet in the chamber but the neck edge of the brass catches the sharp chamber edge and jams right there. About one in 6 or 7 feedings. It fed reliably for 25 years with the older barrel but the older barrel has a very tiny radius to the edge of the chamber. So do I just amaturely try to get something in there to knock the edge off the chamber entrance or should I just hunt with it single shot? Mailing back to the gunsmith is not a option I want to do. FNMauser <~~~~ Frowner

Strike while the iron is hot! Look before you leap!He who hesitates is lost! Slow and steady wins the race! Time waits for no man! A stitch in time saves nine! Make hay while the sun shines! ect. ect.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On a controlled feed action like the FN you need a slight radius on the chamber to keep from shaving brass. Also the extractor may need a slight amount of stoning on the edge where the cartridge starts to move into the bolt face.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fnmauser:
Yep. My namesake that I had recently rebarreled jams about one in every 7 rounds. This is what happens, the chamber was cut by a benchrest gunsmith and the edges of the "mouth" of the chamber are knife edge sharp. The cartridge feeds with the bullet in the chamber but the neck edge of the brass catches the sharp chamber edge and jams right there. About one in 6 or 7 feedings. It fed reliably for 25 years with the older barrel but the older barrel has a very tiny radius to the edge of the chamber. So do I just amaturely try to get something in there to knock the edge off the chamber entrance or should I just hunt with it single shot? Mailing back to the gunsmith is not a option I want to do. FNMauser <~~~~ Frowner

You need to lightly break and then polish the edge. You could damage the chamber reaching in through the action. If you screw up and remove too much material, then you remove support for the case which could lead to a dangerous case rupture. This job could be easily done by your local gunsmith.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
okay, if you have another smith work on it, you'll probably not ever get any help for the original smith.

Any barrel smith can witness mark the barrel and remove it, then radius the edge.

It REALLY makes a difference in feeding

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I used a small cylindrical grinding stone in my dremel to ground a tool bit just to radius the chamber mouth. Works like a dream.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any good gunsmith would have run a machinists burring tool over that edge of the chamber and champfer it a little. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there a particular reason you have not taken it back to the guy that did the rebarrel for you?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there a particular reason you have not taken it back to the guy that did the rebarrel for you?===========================================================================He demanded full payment up front but never sent out a recept. He's a "beloved" gunsmith on another board so I just sent payment in full to him. After 6 months and a couple of phone calls I get a statement saying its done and for me to send payment and then he'll ship my gun. I called and told him I had already paid him. I had to go to the bank and get the check photo copied and when I told him I was mailing that to him he suddenly says "oh thats not needed, I'll just trust you" and sends the gun to me. The chamber is oversized as brass fired in it won't come close to fitting into either of my other factory chambers. Rifle now shoots like crap and won't feed. So that was my $500 fun foray into the wonderful world of custom gunsmiths.

Strike while the iron is hot! Look before you leap!He who hesitates is lost! Slow and steady wins the race! Time waits for no man! A stitch in time saves nine! Make hay while the sun shines! ect. ect.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey fnmauser, Since you paid for the service, it seems to me you should get what you paid for. Have you contacted the "alleged" GunSmith and told him about the Feed Failure issue? He might just say to send it back and I'll turn it around in one day for you. Roll Eyes---

That said, I was just in a Gun Shop this past Friday called "Tinker's Inc.", located on US 60(aka the old Frankfort Hwy) just East of Shelbyville, KY. In the Gun Shop is a GunSmith, "Allen Custom Arms LLC", and the phone number for both operations is (502) 633-4116.

Business hours in the phone book are Mon-Fri 9-6 and Sat 9-4.

Outside was parked maybe 8 large 4x4s which I thought was interesting being mid-day on a Friday. As I entered the store, I was "greeted" by a Chocolate Lab. All the guys behind the counter were busy and would have tested the "strength" of any climbing stand.

I did notice the GunSmith going about his business in a room located in the back left corner of the building, but didn't go in there.

Soooo, if you don't want to send it back to whoever did the initial work for you, and if you are close to Shelbyville, you might want to drive by and check it out. Or calling might save a totally wasted trip.
---

I was really impressed with some of the rifles in the Extremely Well Used rack. They even have some Stainless Rifles with enough rust on them that you could chip it off with a hammer. Plenty of constantly Rusting Blue Steel rifles and shotguns with hand and finger prints permantly etched into them. No doubt a Crime Lab would have a fairly good chance of seeing just who had the "grip" on them at one time.

Happened to over-hear the story of a BIG One that got away from a Bow Hunter. The Lab wasn't all that impressed with the story, so I wasn't either. Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote