Find
Notify
Tools

Winter Project-Extra Short Sav. Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted
Got this idea about taking my bargain 110 Savage 223 and removing about 1 1/2" out of the action, to make it the proper length for the 223 cartridge. Involves cutting and boring out for a sweat fit telescoped shoulder/sleeve near the rear receiver bridge. Silver brazing and pins will hold the front and back together. Only problem I see is the much shorter striker spring, after I shorten the bolt to match. Anybody try such a weird idea before? Any reccomendations on a stronger striker spring? Plan also on milling a stripper clip slot in the rear bridge for a Highpower course rifle.

Hippie redneck geezer

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
oh wow...

or, sell the 110, buy a 10, and have it all done for you, with about a 50 dollar bill out of pocket?

heck of a project
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
chrckout this guys page he finished up a mauser someone started also has a few other interesting projects. Doesnt have it on his site but he made a fallingblock from scratch also.
short mauser

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I took 2 mausers and cut them at different places, then attached the short pieces and the long pieces together, making in effect short and long actions. It was not a difficult project but took time grinding ,filing and polishing. The actions, bolts and firing pins are done, but I haven't done the magazines or triggerguards. Someday,I guess.Mark

A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which he proposes to pay off with your money. Gordon Liddy

Posts: 199 | Location: Sask, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
I have a short 223 Savage action-the thing is still about 1" longer than needed. Has a spacer in the mag, AND a spacer on the boltstop. The only problem is the striker spring will wind up about 1/2 of the length it is now. Probably can use a Wolff 32 lb spring from Brownells, to keep the energy back up. Hey, if it was something anybody could do, I wouldn't bother doing it. More time and tools than money...

Hippie redneck geezer