Find
Notify
Tools

Choices for 03 Spfld 3 position safety
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I have another rifle project that I'm collecting parts for and I'm trying to figure out how many choices are out there for 3 position safeties for 1903 Springfields.
I have looked at the Ed Lapour safeties and they look great, what else is there?
This will be a nice hunting rifle not a fine show piece safe queen this one will get hunted.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having just purchased a Ed LaPour safety I would say look no further. Of all the three position safetys I have bought over the years his is the best.
thumb

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto!!!

Don't go the Gentry route!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
2 real choices
ed's
modified m70 from a post 64 winchester
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I was impressed with Lapours safety that retains the cocking knob feature, distinctly Springfield! Tell us more details about your project, I also have one in the works, on an 03A3 and I am trying to figure out what to do about the rear bridge dovetail in regards to selecting a nice looking 2 piece mount without breaking the bank! Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
I have been very pleased with Ed's safeties for both the 98 Mauser and 1903 Springfield.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeffe
the modified M70 safety does it use a M70 cocking piece or the 03 cocking piece, tell me some details about that method please.

Lee I want it to retain the 03 cocking piece and look like a Springfield but have the 3 position safety. I am now muddling through the safety and scope base issues if you see a great 2 piece base idea let me know I would like something simple like a Weaver Grand Slam or a Warne or something like ( all steel )that but I'm not sure what to do mine has had the dovetail milled off before I got it so I think I'll be going the route I mentioned so I can have an NECG remove able peep sight that goes on Weaver style bases, same as the 9.3x62 I'm doing now.
I will use the stock bottom metal as I am fond of it although I might try my hand at lightly re shaping it before sending it off to my "smith" to rebarrel and blue it. Mine will have a Timney trigger, new bolt handle just slightly swept back I have a synthetic stock for a handle until I can find some nice wood for it. Haven't ordered the barrel yet I need to make a firm decision on cartridge then I'll place an order with Pac Nor for their premium match grade medium light contour in 22" or 23".
What is your project looking like?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have an 03 that was modified by Les Womack. It has the barrel cut to 16" and front sight base re-installed and a high Redfield sourdough installed> forarm and hadguard cut appropiately and re-installed. Bolt handle has ben modified for scope. Lyman Alaskan in G&H side mount.The safety is a nice 3 position with cocking knob left original. The safety is VERY nicely color cased. Function is perfect. Also has a small very good compass inlet into the left side of buttstock. Original military sling and hardware. All in all an impeccable job. My understanding it was done as a trail gun for a notable outdoor writer who like to fish in Alaska. No markings on the safety at all. Very nicely finished and case colored and smooth in operation.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe can you post a picture of that I'd love to see it.
It sounds like a real nice and interesting piece, please post.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom,
Here is the 03 but I'm not too good at photos of guns, got to concentrate on that.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I love everything about that little rifle, that is sweet!
Ready to sell it?
Nice classy Ivory too by the way!

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom, I barrelled it with a #1 contour Mcgowen barrel in 7x57. I have a really nice English walnut classic stock to put it in, nice black mineral streaks. 03 bottom metal that I would like to gussy up a bit beyond narrowing the guard. I would really like to come up with a good treatment for mounts and addressing the rear bridge, just have not found the solution yet! I'll let you know if I do! Lee.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
One thing to consider lee is a mount that Michael Scherz / Gila River Gun works makes. You'd have to send your 03' to him to have them fit but when done they look like a double square bridge that accepts Talley rings, if you like I can dig up a photo of his work.
I'll get his contact info for you to if you are interested although as of late I've not been able to reach him. He moved his shop to Pocatello Idaho last fall.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I had heard about him also, but the web address is bad. I would really be interested in this. Do you have a rough idea of how much it costs? Ballpark?

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.