New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini-14 question
 Login/Join

<Jeff Myhre>
posted
Has anybody had any experience with Accuracy Systems Inc. or Accuracy Rifle systems , in doing the conversion on a mini-14 to a heavier barrel version? Any info on this subject is appreciated, or another possible gunsmith who knows what they are doing on Mini-14's.
Thanks Jeff Myhre

<goneballistic>
posted
I've got 2 ARS converted Minis that I had done several years ago, 1 blue in .223, the other SS in 6/223. I am happy with the results, but I have heard of later customers who were not as happy. But then again, happiness eludes some folks.
It was expensive then, and I know it's more expensive now. I would suggest you reconsider, not because of ARS, Tim always treated me right, but because of the design limitations inherent in the rifle itself.
An AR-15 type rifle is a much better design for accuracy work. The barrel can be free floated, the Mini's cannot. One rifle can be many, just change upper receivers. Also, you can get into service rifle matches with an AR.
Here is a link on bedding the Mini:
http://www.netside.com/~lcoble/dir10/excs71.txt

Good luck!

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
David hit the nail on the head. Until Mr Ruger decides to put at least moderate weight barrels on those Mini's that system as it stands has a SERIOUS design problem.
Think about it. How many CHEAP 22 rifles have heaver barrels that the Mini14. I heard through the grape vine that Bill Ruger was all bent out of shape because people weren't satisfied with the barrels on his guns (Wilson I heard)& were rebarreling them. I also heard that Ruger has switched barrel suppliers. Has anyone heard anything about this? Just for the record: I love the mini BUT I DETEST that damn string of spaghetti
they call a barrel!

P. S. Don I'm holding back the best I can

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 12-30-2001).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VanHorn Barrels will do the conversion for arround $400. last time I talked to him. I do not have his Ph# or web sight at work.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff

David M is exactly right. The folks at ARS do good work. And most people I have talked to have reported good accuracy. A couple of guys did not.

I agree also that the work is expensive. I did one such conversion with a Douglas heavy cm barrel. By the time I was finished with rebarreling, drill and tap, bedding the action and trigger job the customer had way too much money in the project. He could have commissioned me to build him a target grade AR-15 with a Lothar Walther barrel for nearly the same money and been assured of half minute accuracy or better.

Dont get me wrong, I really like the mini 14 for its handling qualities and the neat design. That same design however is not as easy to modify as the AR's.

Bear Claw

I know that when Ruger built their first M77 rifles they used Douglas barrels, the tang safety short cartridge designs. They were extremely accurate. Then Ruger used Wilson barrels and accuracy was a throw of the dice, maybe, maybe not. Then somewhere about the time they introduced the MK I or MK II (I wish I could get specific dates, model and serial numbers)Ruger built their own barrel making facility in Arizona I believe. It is a hammer forge design and their accuracy improved. Most important it was more consistant. If anyone has more specific info on the phasing in of their hammer forged barrels, ie model and serial numbers I would be very interested. I know Ruger will not divulge any specifics, only generalities.

Posts: 1536 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Eric>
posted
One thing I don't understand is when someone tries to take "A" and make it "A+P+". Such as taking a 1965 Plymouth Barracuda and trying to make it perform like a Dodge Viper.

The Mini 14 is a fine rifle, designed with a certain use in mind. A rifle to toss in the truck while mending fences, a rifle to throw in the trunk of the patrol car for that one in a thousand need. A rifle to keep behind the door for emergencies, a rifle to use and abuse and still work with acceptable accuracy for hunting or defense.

Bill Ruger never intended his Mini 14 to be a target rifle. He intended it to be a light weight, hard hitting, dependable, economical, alternative autoloading rifle to compete with the military versions that sold for many more dollars. I think he achieved his objective.

If one wants a .223 semi-auto that prints minute of angle at 400 yards, there are other rifles better suited to the task. Buy one of those. And please, lets not start with the "well, what does the cost or sense matter? I want to (insert project here)!" That stuff is way old.

All mechanical objects have been designed with a specific purpose in mind. Sometimes those original designs can be modified to exceed the designers original conception. If you cannot modify something to suite your desires, get over it! Move on and try something else!

While I do not have one anymore, I like the Mini 14 for what it is. I have other rifles that are better suited for their particular task or function. And while I also get a kick out of "hotrodding" both pistols and rifles, I never try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Wastes my time and uses too much of my customers money.

(This should create some feedback, eh?)

Regards, Eric

------------------
Surely we must all hang together, for separately we will all surely hang.

<Jeff Myhre>
posted
All replies are appreciated. In response to the last reply, I think it was from Eric, Colt never designed the M-16 to be a target rifle either, and look how far it has come. So I think there is always room for improvement on any rifle. just ny opinion
Thanks Jeff

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Yep Ruger does manage to turn some great systems into "Sows Ears". They try to use way too much (lost wax investment casting)

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
In 1977 or so I bought Ruger M77 in .25/06. It would shoot about .6moa. About 1983 I got another in .257 Roberts, it would shoot about 1.25 moa at best. Had a couple more in various calibers.... the thing with Ruger rifles then and now...its the luck of the draw. Some talk of the super service they get from Ruger, not me. A few years ago I broke a firing pin in my MK2. Think it was a .50 cent part at the time. I called the factory in Conn., sorry Sir you to call Prescott...ok I do that after a WHOLE bunch of bull$hit I have to pay 6.00 S&H for a .50 cent part. Figure might as well get some extra parts just in case...now I'm up to wapping 10.00. Write a personel check....where are my parts? Another call to Prescott Az. Got to wait till my check clears

32 days to get something that should have been a freebie.

Now I'm done ranting.

<Eric>
posted
Jeff,

"All mechanical objects have been designed with a specific purpose in mind. Sometimes those original designs can be modified to exceed the designers original conception."

The M-16 was my point exactly. It however, in my opinion, can be more easily modified to print small groups than could a Mini 14. It is not exactly cheap to to do so, but it is doable.

I'm not what you would call "well to do". I have to work for a living and "smith" on the side. My customers are also not of unlimited funds, so I try to balance cost with intended results. Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it (such as take a Soviet SVT 40 and make it into a 1,000 yard match rifle, or pull a crashed WW II fighter out of the New Guinea jungle and rebuild it). Not all of us have the money to throw or the desire to spend double the cost of a rifle just because we can.

I never said you can't do what you want, I just said "why"?

Regards,
Eric

------------------
Surely we must all hang together, for separately we will all surely hang.

<Kerry.S>
posted
Well here's somthing to think about. If the mini 14 is a scaled down version of the M14 then it goes to show you that with enough time and money it could be made to shoot MOA groups, It just may be that the AR 15 is a more popular rifle and not enough people offer a fix for the mini 14 to get the price down. I will say one thing and that's what if your only choice is a mini 14, Being a Kalifornia resident you can't get an AR15 or any other pistol grip, semi auto that takes a magazine in this state(of mind). so if any one knows of a semi auto .223 that will take a magazine that is not a pistol or thumb hole grip LET ME KNOW.
Kerry

<goneballistic>
posted
Here are my Minis. The blued Mini is in .223. The target trigger is set around 2#, adjusted to have no overtravel. Very accurate. The barrel conversion cost $330, when I had it done in '94. Tim at ARS has been doing Mini 14 conversions since '83.

The SS Mini is the 6x45mm. Not quite as accurate, but still a Sub MOA rifle. I had it done about a year later

[This message has been edited by David M (edited 01-02-2002).]

<Jeff Myhre>
posted
David, Very nice rifles in the pictures. My Mini-14 is a blued one in 223 Rem. Mine will have the laminated black and gray stock, glass bedded, 20" blued, heavy barrel in 223 Rem., match sights, oversized gas block. It should be a shooter.
Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
While the Mini-14 is similar in design to the M-14, it is not a scaled down M-14. My out of the box Mini-14 cannot touch my out of the box M1As in accuracy, range and power. That being said, I like my Mini-14 and I don't plan on selling it anytime soon. It is a small, light weight, reliable, semi-auto that shoots a light recoiling round and doesn't take up a lot of room in my truck. It just isn't all that accurate past 150 yards.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote