Find
Notify
Tools

300 H&H on a Savage 111
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted
I picked up a left hand Savage 111 in 7mm RM from a co-worker with the idea to do something with it since I already have a 7RM. I have wanted a 300 H&H for a long time but being a lefty has left me 0 factory options.

So, has anyone done a 300 H&H on Savage 11. I have not done any measurements but it certainly looks to have ample length. Not sure about the mag box though.

Thanks!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Measure the box length and PM me that; I have put a few 300 H&H barrels on this year for some strange reason.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Savage 111. Nominal inside magazine box dimensions length 3.440", width at rear .900", width at front .866".

The generally accepted length for loaded 300 H&H is 3.600". Same as trying to make it work in a model 70 Winchester.

Remington 700 is the simplest. Nominal inside magazine box dimensions length 3.694", width at rear .857", width at front .750".

These are boxes, not clip magazines.

popcorn What gives Tom? You told me that .308 was too small for anything but woodchucks! Are you breaking into the varmint rifle business now? he he he

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All post 64 Model 70s have a mag plenty long enough for the long magnums. I put a 300 on one last week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
All post 64 Model 70s have a mag plenty long enough for the long magnums. I put a 300 on one last week.

Mmmm yeah. Pre 64 has to be bastardized if memory serves.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My factory pre-64 .300 H&H has the bridge trimmed back to accept the longer cartridge. The magazine well is lengthened from the rear, so there is no weakening of the locking lug recesses. It was my faithful companion in Africa, accounting for around 90 head of plains game over the course of 11 weeks hunting.

It was beat up when I acquired it, having been stolen and recovered after kicking around unsecured in a car's trunk. The owner, a collector, wanted nothing more to do with a less than pristine specimen, but I found it ideal for bounding around in a Land Cruiser. I consider the scars honorable ones and have never considered having it refinished.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To amswer the original question, it can be done. It requires on a nonRUM action some milling of the rear of the mag opening and a modified (extended) mag box. I’ve built a couple of 110’s into 7mm STW’s. Not a lot of work, but not a slam dunk. I extended the front of the mag box by splicing two together. Easier thn making from scratch. These were staggerfeed actions. There is no actermarket box for this that I know of.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, pre 64 Model 70s are not designed for the 375 lengths and had to be cut out for it. In 64 they just went ahead and made all receivers longer to accommodate the 375, so no mods are needed.
Sorry, this does not help the OP one damn bit.
Anyway, sounds like I can make a Savage work. Now, that is a help.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
as others, far more skilled than me, have said, you'll need to grow the magbox about a quarter inch --

or rebarrel to 300 winmag and load it down a touch (just kidding -- well, not on the ballistics, but i get what you want) -

if you had a 300 rum action, you'd likely get away with just a rebarrel

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Speer; .308 caliber is unsuitable for anything bigger than a small deer; but I did those 300s for other guys who don't know any better and I couldn't talk them into at least a .35 caliber; definitely not for me; I would not own those pest caliber guns. I actually did a 7mm Mag for a guy but he was hunting pronghorn so I figured it might work for that. Those teeny little holes in the barrels do not look right to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, Speer; .308 caliber is unsuitable for anything bigger than a small deer; but I did those 300s for other guys who don't know any better and I couldn't talk them into at least a .35 caliber; definitely not for me; I would not own those pest caliber guns. I actually did a 7mm Mag for a guy but he was hunting pronghorn so I figured it might work for that. Those teeny little holes in the barrels do not look right to me.

Still not completely sold on the idea that it's the fire which comes out of the barrel that kills the elephant huh ?

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It might be; let me check with Elmer again....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It might be; let me check with Elmer again....

coffee I'll call Bob Ruark and Harry Selby.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by xausa:
My factory pre-64 .300 H&H has the bridge trimmed back to accept the longer cartridge. The magazine well is lengthened from the rear, so there is no weakening of the locking lug recesses. It was my faithful companion in Africa, accounting for around 90 head of plains game over the course of 11 weeks hunting.

It was beat up when I acquired it, having been stolen and recovered after kicking around unsecured in a car's trunk. The owner, a collector, wanted nothing more to do with a less than pristine specimen, but I found it ideal for bounding around in a Land Cruiser. I consider the scars honorable ones and have never considered having it refinished.[/QUOTE

You have a very rare action.(grin) All factory pre 64's in 300 or 375 H&H were opened at the front..the mods to the bridge are there for reliable ejection and easier loading

Posts: 3610 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote