New
Find
Notify
Tools

best rust and blue remover ?
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
I bet we all have a "Secret" substance for removing blue...

I find the BC "rust and blue remover" to do a really good job, white vinegar, especially if warmed, does a decent job, evaoprust works too, but takes awhile.

anyone else using something that won't affect the surface finish (much) to get the blue and rust off before bluing?\

these all seem to work better, or be more agressive, if applied with a plastic brush or a "bright boy" scotpad

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Toilet bowl cleaner, whatever is on sale.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
TBc??? does it chemically remove or abrasivly?

i forgot to mention CLR will do it too, but it's pretty acidic, a it's designed to dissolve rust and lime

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
A fishing buddy's Dad inadvertantly did a good job of removing the bluing from an old Winchester shotgun a while back. He tried to use Ospho to remove the light surface rust. Dumbass. Anyway, I suspect it would pit if left on a long time, but short term might do the trick...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
No abrasives at all, I just pour a couple of bottles into a plastic covered pain, immerse the part - and about 30 minutes later its all gone.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I know tomcat piss will do it. I had my Dakota 300 win mag standing in in a corner and some cat pissed on it and it took the blueing off the floorplate. I guess he could tell that it was not a Mauser.
Timan

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Stu,
LMAO!!! jumping

i just did a search, and read koolaid and coke a cola

thanks guys.. please let me know... i don't mind doing a little refinish, but would prefer "none"

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's "Comet Flux" for the force 44 solder does a wonderful job when applied incorrectly.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just use Naval Jelly. Works very well on factory bluing, takes arsenal bluing off with a bit of elbow grease heat.

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6% cloridaccid whiped only on the outside, by a pice of cloth, only for 3-5min, then washing with water, and later neutralizing with a thin solution of natriumhydroxide.
Parts with no accuracyfunktion, you can just dip in the accid, rinse and neutralize

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
OK, these work as rust and blue remover, but what about rust blue? what do you guy's use for it?

The one time I needed to get some off I used muriatic acid mixed 4 to 1 with water. Worked pretty good, but what do you guy's use?

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rust blue is just that, rust. Any acid will reduce
the iron oxide. Just be sure and remove all the acid.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I've had really good luck removing bluing by just hunting pretty heavy with a gun for a few seasons. Wink

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blood

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used muratic acid that is a very weal solution (you can put your hands in it barely tingels) remove blue without hurrting metal, if there is rust hit it with steel wool and leave in solution longer

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote