Find
Notify
Tools

Hard Barrel!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Last week a customer brought in one of those Adams & Bennett barrels to be threaded & chambered on his VZ24 action. Well I started
working on the barrel & It seemed unusually
hard. Started reaming the chamber & the reamer starts squalling. immediately back the reamer out, couldn't see any problem but changed brands of cutting oil to see if it would make a difference. NOT! Pull the reamer out one more time. This time I grab the TAP MAJIC! This stuff cut like a knife going through butter! God I love this stuff. If I could afford to buy it in 55 gal. drums I would. Happy ending.

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 12-29-2001).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So does the barrel look any good?

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
GFS1200 it was the F34 contour very similar to the Shilen #4 although not as graceful. The rifling lands look to be 1/2 to 1/3 as wide as the grooves. The barrel spun .007 out of true in the middle when set up between centers. The bore finish appeared very smooth. The barrels exterior finish was rough ground. Just my observations for what their worth.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote