New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single stack magazine on a M98.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In looking for ideas to make the magazine on my M98 "single stack".
Does anybody want to show me some pictures of how it is possible to do so, please?

*Treat problems like a dog; Take a sniff ..... If it can't be killed, eaten, or fucked? Just pie on it, and walk on!:-)

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Arild,
what round are you trying to do? single stacks look pretty much alike, and your 460webby, if on a webby, has a perfected one in it

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 460 is a ZKK602, jeffe.

Id like to try some fat ones in a M98.
Rigby/Lapua and 500 Jeffery maybe. Wink

*Treat problems like a dog; Take a sniff ..... If it can't be killed, eaten, or fucked? Just pie on it, and walk on!:-)

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
AH!

well, let me see if i can't dig up a weatherby one... i made one for the 550 express, but it's not nothing to write home about...

basically you just "copy" a 45 ACP mag, adjusting size to fit your round (+.03 is fine), adjust angle to match your receiver, and mill a "U" follower, to cradle your rounds

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I might get some thin plates, and start to construct something.

I think the locking system of the magazine might be the biggest problem. I might need some ideas around that.
Is it possible to use the same well and triggerguard, and to make something fit inside that, you think, and just adjust the lenght of the magazine, or do I have to make a whole new thing?

Arild.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just come up with a thought, one might try revamping one of those single shot inserts for 98,sold on the market. Its already ramped ect. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by van:
Just come up with a thought, one might try revamping one of those single shot inserts for 98,sold on the market. Its already ramped ect. van

Actually, I've played with that same thought myself, but I'm not sure it would be wide enough, though?

Arild.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time there was an article in Rifle Magazine that showed the feed clips of a M98 in 404 Jeffery, .425 Westley Richards or .416 Rigby, I do not know which. The photos also showed them with the barreled action out of the stock. You could use that set up to make a single stack feed but you might want to practice on 2 or 3 or 4 junk 98 receivers first. If you put one of those fat assed rounds in a M98 you might want to read the thread on the Mauser bolt failure including the link to the Bekker article. Bekker Mauser article

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
460wby

You might want to look at www.wyattsoutdoor.com
He makes center feed for Rem & Winchester.
I have fitted several in Remingtons for the short mags. You may be able to alter one of his to fit in a 98 guard. Just a thought.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, J Bennett!

I have grown some ideas in my head now, just waiting to get home from the hospital and get started! Wink

Arild.