THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    which stock is Better Monte Carlo or Traditional English

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

which stock is Better Monte Carlo or Traditional English
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted
Which stock is better for shooting, recoil wise and all-round shootibility for one of the Medium calibers 375 Class

Thanks

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With iron sights the English is the cat's ass.

With a scope the Monte Carlo will generally be much better.

Neck type and Shoulder anatomy plays a role as well. I have a long neck, and do much better with a Monte Carlo. A short neck works a little better with an English style.

Straight comb stocks can be had with or without significant drop for use with either irons or scopes, respectively. For me, the Monte Carlo has the best of both worlds; a high comb and a lowered butt pad.

If the comb slopes forward, you can get close and low to use irons, or move your head back and up for scope sighting.

A little cast-off and a touch of toe-out often helps with fit as well.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A straight classic stock will kick less. The recoil comes straight back instead of rocking up into your face. Stock fit is critical however. Felt recoil in a properly fitted Monte Carlo stock will be less than a poorly fitted Straight stock. But if both are properly fitted the Straight stock will have less felt recoil...................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I prefer a straight classic style. I've always felt more recoil the Monte Carlo. But like Dj said either needs to fit the shooter.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
shooting irons
drop - all in shoulder
some drop with cheekpiece, mostly in shoulder
monte carlo, mostly in check

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 375 with a classic stock, straight comb, cheekpiece, scope. It is very comfortable. I did shoot a Weatherby Mark V 458 with Monte Carlo, offhand. It was not uncomfortable to shoot either.

Posts: 180 | Location: lakewood, co | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 300 WSM's of near identical weight, one with a Straight Classic and one with a Monte Carlo Style stock. To date everyone (maybe 5 or 6 people) that has fired both rifles has commented on how much more felt recoil the Monte Carlo rifle has. If you are near OKC let me know and I'll let you try both for yourself!....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will get two components of recoil when you shoot. One from the straight back force exerted on the pad and one from the muzzle lift. The muzzle lift will be created by the moment created by the distance from the center of the bore to the pivot point on your shoulder and the amount of the force. The pivot point is depenedent on how you hold your gun. If you use a straight stock gun (little drop from nose to heel) and hold it below your shoulder, the muzzle lift and slap will be minimized. If you hold it high, like I have seen often and the heel of the stock is not in contact with your shoulder and is inches above it, you will feel the slap from the moment arm. That is true with a monte carlo or a straight stock. The worst ones were the old Weatherby California style stocks with exagerated drop from the monte carlo to the heel. They thought it looked good and the buyers just thought that it was the big magnum that was doing it rather than a poor stock design.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
If you use a straight stock gun (little drop from nose to heel) and hold it below your shoulder, the muzzle lift and slap will be minimized. If you hold it high, like I have seen often and the heel of the stock is not in contact with your shoulder and is inches above it, you will feel the slap from the moment arm. That is true with a monte carlo or a straight stock.

Chic

Perfect description. I don't know how many times I have seen the heel of a stock above the shoulder of a shooter when they are shooting, but it's a bunch. I actually can shoot most monte carlo stocked rifles very well as far as comfort is concerned because the butt is positioned on the shoulder like it should be. But, I prefer a more classic looking stock with sufficient drop at the heel so that the butt comes in contact with my shoulder properly. This is the biggest reason I lean more to the "Europeon" style than the so called "American classic".

I might add that I have found it more comfortable to shoot a stock that has too much drop at the heel than one that has to little. Reversed drop comb stocks to me are the worst of all stock designs because it is impossible for me to get the butt to make proper contact with my shoulder.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote