New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 Magnum Timney trigger question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I hav edone a search and never could find the answer I am looking for. What exactly is eliminated from the CZ trigger when switching to the Timney unit?

Also, is that same screwed up sear & sear spring retained as it is in the factory abortion of a trigger?

Are there any other real alternatives? Not talking about AHR, they really don't change much of anything.

When is CZ going to put a real trigger at least on their DGR's???

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with just reworking the factory trigger? I've reworked several 550 triggers and as of yet have not had any problems.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
What's wrong with just reworking the factory trigger? I've reworked several 550 triggers and as of yet have not had any problems.

Ditto, in my opinion. All it has to be is adjusted. The Timney would be nice because it sits in the back of the trigger guard and hence less lkiely to bang your f**# you finger.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19337 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
marc,
the timney is about 1/3 the parts of the factory trigger
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38649 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe-

Does the Timney still use the same sear and spring arrangement?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc,
If you have a chance, call David. He did mine last year.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark:
If you do a search on this forum, I posted pics of one I put on my CZ550. If you can't find them, or you want additional pics, please let me know and I will e-mail them to you. My e-mail is in my profile.
The Timney is about 2/3 the size and has about 30% of the moving parts, IMO. I put mine in in about 20 minutes, including adjustment. To me this is a BIG improvement over the factory set up. It may just be me, but the factory trigger just seemed like a piece of bent wire that stuck out into the trigger guard....

Posts: 1658 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
congomike's cz pics

<

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
certainly looks like an improvment.
I think there are lots of good things about the Cz 550. But the trigger that they use has no buisness on a big game or a DG rifle, and the stocks are simply to damn heavy on most of them.
I think if Ruger comes out with a 416 Ruger on the .375 case in the hawkeye, they will have clearly the best buy in a DG rifle.
They could use a better recoil pad, but thats a small matter...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
certainly looks like an improvment.

While the Timney certainly appears less "complicated", the factory 550 trigger has a built in "Set" feature.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeffe: marc,
the timney is about 1/3 the parts of the factory trigger
jeffe

Single set triggers are usually a little more complex.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
less lkiely to bang your f**# you finger.

Around these parts that's referred to as the "hole" finger. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
While the Timney certainly appears less "complicated", the factory 550 trigger has a built in "Set" feature.

The whole idea is to REMOVE the set trigger option!! You may like set triggers or not, but they make absolutely no sense on a big bore, DGR rifle!!

A colleague of mine had the CZ standard (set - shudder) trigger modified in his .416 Rigby. Man, what a POS that produced! I have NEVER operated a trigger with as much creep. No, not just take up, pure creep. It was horrifying.

Now, I don't know who did this for him, or whether he "fixed" it himself, nor do I know if the results can be better than that. Timneys are normally not the most refined triggers, but they are very serviceable, and provide clean trigger pulls - if sometimes not quite as light as I'd prefer. For a big bore, I'm positive they'll be fine, though. The 1 lbs minimum pull Timney advertizes for the CZ unit is a good deal lighter than needed for a big bore - IMHO.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
The whole idea is to REMOVE the set trigger option!!

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to disable the "set" feature on the factory trigger. Simply turn the screw "in" to remove the slack. Okay, what else should we solve today? Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by mho:A colleague of mine had the CZ standard (set - shudder) trigger modified in his .416 Rigby. Man, what a POS that produced! I have NEVER operated a trigger with as much creep. No, not just take up, pure creep. It was horrifying.

The majority of triggers can be reworked with excellent results. It just takes knowing what your doing and then knowing when to stop what you're doing. Knowledge is the key. thumb

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
well, the question at hand is timney triggers...
for 90 bucks retail, and 15 mins "work" it looks like an easy job for diy'ER

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...ACTION+RIFLE+TRIGGER

BUT,if i ever wanted a big bore CZ with a great set trigger, i'll be sure to send to malm, if i wanted to keep that complex mechanism

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
After having this trigger in for awhile, I really do like it. I never did much adjusting on my original trigger, but have played around with this one quite a bit....just looking at the original trigger, with all its parts, I can't help but think it is a malfunction waiting to happen.
Again, my opinion, and although I never had any trouble, nor have any of my friends who have them, I still sleep better at night. Big Grin
Mark S. Sent you another PM.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't see any reason to put that CZ trigger on a rifle for shooting big game, except mabey on somthing like a 25,06 for open country antilope or deer hunting.
Not yet been to africa,(I am saving though)
But I want a simple rifle, no unnecisary parts.
The CZ with a reworked stock and the timney would work for me.
I have timney triggers on several mausers a springfield and a ruger and mabye more I can't think of and I like them real well...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of one done by Tom Burgess. very nice, solid, adjustible trigger.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane Wiebe said it better than anyone:

"...your social finger...."

flaco

one of us
Picture of bill22250
posted Hide Post
The factory trigger is horrible.

I replaced mine with the Timney .. couldn't be happier! To answer the question .. the sear is the same, the trigger is a drop in replacement. The sear is finicky. If you have the trigger weight too heavy the sear won't pop up during the cocking cycle.

I stoned some mill marks off the face of the sear ever so slightly .. I have a super 3 pound SIMPLE trigger now.

I am happy! Plus .. like said earlier .. the trigger sits further back in the guard .. making it much more comfortable.

Posts: 37 | Location: Southwestern Ohio | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've mentioned this before...we have a prototype for the CZ and are simply assuming you're either going to weld a new lever (further back) or a Timney replacement. The original trigger lever ends up about in the center of the guard,

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once a disabled the set mechanism and adjusted the CZ trigger it was as good as any Timney I've ever had.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dennis Olson adjusted my factory trigger and he thought it was as good as any aftermarket trigger. It seems quite good to me.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote