THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which is better, dry fire or leave it cocked?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, just a quick question here, on a semi-auto pistol (outside our normal scope of discusssion Smiler )

specifically a springfield xd, when I unload a gun I like to leave it uncocked as well, i.e. drop the mag, rack the slide, pull the trigger. However, you know the old saying never to dry fire your gun, so I was thinking, is it better to just leave it cocked? or will dry firing it once a day really cause any damage?

I have a little 25 auto that's probably spent most of the last 30 years with a full magazine and hammer cocked, doesn't seem to have affected it at all, so...???

Thanks.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I alway uncock my pistols. If you are concerned stick a fired case in the chamber or get you a snap cap.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
The once in a while dry firing will not hurt your gun in the least.
Someone posted a question like this a while back and my answer was "with my little brothers in the CHP they were told to dry fire their weapons as part of their training to be sure they can shoot their full ammo load both strong and weak handed so with the practice needed to develop a strong trigger finger the pistols were dry fired significantly"

Old revolvers and rimfires are the ones to be cautious with along with a double shot gun or rifle. Those you can damage the first time you dry fire it.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot depends upon the quality and design of the arm. Some designs will permit unlimited dryfiring while others (usually cheap ones) will malfunction the first time, as kc said.

IMO any arm that DOES NOT permit regular dryfiring is either not adjusted properly or needs some re-heat-treating of parts. No exceptions. This is basic smithing work and can be done by anyone familiar with the particular mechanism and its associated problems.

If your pistol is a 1911 clone then dryfiring it should be fine regardless of how many times you dryfire it.

I dryfire all my own arms regularly, including 125-yr-old Colt SAs and Winchester single shots. Even most cheap 22LRs can have their FPs adjusted so that they don't ding the chamber edge, and it's easy to fix even a single shot FP so that it doesn't break.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I thought that the XD was like a Glock in that the firing spring isnt under tension until you pull the trigger? Other wise it is at rest.

I dont have an XD to take apart to look.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I prefer leaving them uncocked as well so will continue doing so. As to how the spring works in it I admit ignorance.
JD I had an old high standard sport king for a while, great little gun but you had to be careful not to dry fire it cause i'd already had to have it worked on once due to the dimple in the chamber, I wish I'd known it could have been adjusted a little. Frowner

Red

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
The XD and the Glock operate the same way. The striker is partially cocked when you cycle the slide. Then as you pull the trigger you are fully cocking it and releasing it.

The XD has a better trigger pull though

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dry fire it as much as you want. In fact, you should test which comes first. Your finger falling off or the firearm breaking.

dancing

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
I was told by a local dealer/gunsmith that dry firing any striker fired weapon would never hurt it. I practiced dry firing my Xdm .45 when I first got it to get used to the trigger. If you have any doubt snap caps are cheap, or easily made.

Job security for lead minors since 1984.

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Dry fire it as much as you want. In fact, you should test which comes first. Your finger falling off or the firearm breaking.

dancing

lol archer

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
don't dryfire rimfires or doubles or hammer guns without snapcaps .. otherwise, if it hurts the gun, shesh, its junk...

rimfires can mar the stricking surface, which in some guns, contacts steel on steel, leading to burrs..

doubles - its poor practice, due to the setup internally .. can break parts

hammer guns, ditto

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I've done many trigger upgrades on XD pistols and they are not at all like Glock. When the XD is cocked it is fully cocked and the only thing the trigger does is trip the sear. Dry firing will not hurt it one bit.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I meant in concept Big Grin

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's really fairly simple to alter most any arm so that unlimited dryfiring is possible. This includes RFs and older doubles.

For rimfires, simply adjust the firing pin nose protrusion to 0.040" or slightly less. Sometimes this requires installation of a travel-limiting pin or screw, but usually not. Also anneal the striker/FP to a slightly softer state to avoid age- or impact-hardening of the old metal.

Similarly for CFs, anneal the striker/FP steel first and then adjust the nose shape and protrusion. Sometimes the steel in these old FPs has already crystalized and the firing pin/striker may actually need to be replaced by a more durable alloy. Usually not a big deal for a good smith....

IMO there are only 3 classes of arms that should not be dryfired: old original uniquely super-valuable antiques in museums; El Cheapos that aren't worth correcting; and older or more-expensive guns that haven't been properly corrected YET (grin).

IMO if it's not a DGR, and you're scared to dryfire it, then something's wrong somewhere.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
I meant in concept Big Grin

If you mean they both use a plastic polymer frame and a steel slide, yes, they are similar in concept. However, the XD trigger does not cock the pistol...not one bit...but of course the Glock does, making it imposible for a Glock to fire unless the trigger is pulled. Although extremly unlikely for an XD to fire without pulling the trigger, with the striker fully tensioned while cocked, I suppose it is possible something other than a pull of the trigger could cause it to fire.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, since I now have one, how does the grip safety work? does it act separately on the striker or does it keep the trigger from engaging? does that make sense the way I worded it?