New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 Lott rebarrel? magazine work?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If I have a Winchester Model 70 in 375 H&H caliber, how easy a conversion is it to make the gun a 458 Lott?

How easy is it to expand magazine capacity from 3 to 5 rounds?

The latter one is where I feel as if I will be getting into an expensive proposition, but I really don't understand why. The gunsmith I talked to suggested that if I wanted to do that, why don't I just go ahead and start with a Dakota African receiver.

Why not a CZ? Because my shotin' eye is in the left-hand socket.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The basic conversion is a straightforward rebarrel. The magazine capacity increase is a simple enough but labour intensive operation. Or at least it has the potential to be labour intensive. Flawless feeding is frequently more difficult to achieve than it looks to be. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I've built a 450 Ackley from a M-70 .375 action. It was extremely straight-foreward and went without a hitch. It feeds and extracts like the cartridges are on ball bearings. That's what you get with a coned breach. I did not increase the mag capacity, but be forewarned that the win mag will accept only 3.600 COL ammo, unless you modify the receiver at the same time. I chose to just seat the bullets a little deeper. I was easily able to hit 2400 fps with a 500 gr bullet out of a 24 inch barrel. The Lott should work identically.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Henry,
In order to increase the magazine capacity, you will need a drop-box magazine (~$250-400) and a new stock to accomodate it (~$300-3000, depending upon your specs and who makes it).

Your fellow lefty,
George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and a new stock to accomodate...

Thanks guys.

Is there any such thing as letting a metal magazine box extend below the stock, as in a military rifle? I wouldn't need it to be removable.

H. C.

[This message has been edited by HenryC470 (edited 04-29-2002).]

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, one could extend the metal magazine below the woodline, or use a drop box without a new stock..It would work fine but look pretty shabby, but if thats not an issue I would use a drop box and add additional wood to the existing stock to make it fit the drop box..It looks OK for a knock about rifle...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote