Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger M77 Tang Safety Barrel Shank Threads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
Planning a project building a .375 Ruger on a LA Tang Safety M77 action. Can anyone advise as to the barrel shank thread size , and wether or not M77 and M77 Mk11 barrels will interchange . ( I expect not but you never know )

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4463 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
threads are the same, though probably NOT headspace, and its very unlikely it will time/clock correctly . but can you use one barrel on the other, assuming proper gunsmithing and safety!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1.00" 16 "V" TPI the same as Win 70 push feed. Shank lenghth may be different though.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I have the greatest respect for the engineering groundbreaking of the M-77...there is is caveat: Back in the early 70's (tang safety models), the threads in the action were so whopperjawed that it was impossible to bore sight.

I'm sure all these (or most) were sent back and replaced...just check it out to be sure.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents.

The action I have is fitted with a stainless .270 barrel at present , unknown maker.

Serial number is 74-560**.

I wasnt planning on approaching Ruger for any parts , have a synthetic stock lined up , and will use a suitable barrel probably sourced from the classifieds on this site - no rush so I can wait nd see what turns up. May just use it as a 270 for a while anyways ....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4463 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote