THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Stockmakers - Jury still out on Midway Pattern Makers Vise

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stockmakers - Jury still out on Midway Pattern Makers Vise
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A couple of weeks back I ordered one of those Pattern makers vises from Midway, on sale for 62 bucks or so. The vice I'm using is a Parrot vise, it works fine, but thought this might be better cause the way the jaws pivot.

Anyway, this vise I bought from Midway is much heavier than I imagined, looks like it sticks out off the bench a fair amount which is good. I haven't padded the jaws yet or mounted it.

The part I'm not crazy about it having to reach under the table to loosen it to turn/spin etc. I may get used to it, may not.

Guess I better mount it and try it.

Comments if you have one or used one.

Thanks, Billy

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Silly boy.

Mount it on the corner of your work bench and you'll love it.

flaco

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
$62 is alot less than what NECG charges for their's ($319). Their vise does have an extension arm to support the length of the stock, only difference I can tell.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a pro, a tinkerer, but I bought one a few months ago probably the same thread you read inspired me.

I mounted it on the corner of my becnch and it's pretty easy to use. I'm about to put some new pads on thanks to ikesdad from this forum who was kind enough to send me some very nice material.

Put it at the corner.

Rob

Posts: 1679 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the corner.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, I'll have to go back and look at NECG's site and see what the support looks like, not srue I've noticed it before, think I'll build one.

Thanks, Billy

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
just drop it off at my place when you are tired of it, billy

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38510 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gringo C, I think I know what you're referring to, maybe not but I'll take a stab. I had been wanting a different bench when I recieved my vise as a gift. The apron on my bench would'nt allow easy adjustment without reaching down and back up under. Solution....build a new bench. On my new bench, I extended the top out 8" to the front right side and it is 8" wide. Now I have a platform to mount anything I want yet its not only easy to adjust, its not taking up bench top space. It works for my tinkering.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I just tighten the nut tight enough to hold still when working but still loose enough to turn with a little effort.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
What dempsey said. Mine remains pretty damn tight all the time.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote