New
Find
Notify
Tools

Screw in chokes
 Login/Join

<George Stringer>
posted
Just thought I'd pass this along. I've always used a spider and steady rest for the muzzle and chucked the barrel in a 4 jaw when installing choke tubes in single bbl shotguns. Last week I was reading through Gunsmith Kinks looking for something else and I ran across a Kink submitted by Jack Belk about using Fiber Strand Putty (got mine at Autozone)on octagon barrels instead of a spider. So I thought I might try it on a choke tube installation. I had to put Truchokes in a 20 ga Ithaca 37 so I applied release agent to the barrel an inch or so behind the muzzle. While that was drying I mixed up a handful, much more than I actually needed, of the putty and gobbed it on about 1/2" thick. It set up in about 10 minutes. I chucked the barrel in the lathe with the steadyrest out of the way and got the bore running true, then moved a live center into the muzzle. I turned the putty down until it was turning true. Then slid the steady in position and reamed the barrel. When I got ready to remove the putty a couple of raps with a brass chisel split it and it came off easily. No sign of anything on the barrel. This took much less time than it sounds like and I don't see ever using the spider for this again. Thanks, Jack Belk! George

[This message has been edited by George Stringer (edited 02-25-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you do a lot of this type work there is a much simpler solution. Look at my site (address below) and click on "The Shop" page. First photo shows one of my lathes with a special steady rest I made that works like a 4-jaw chuck. Does not marr a barrel either. I can put a rifle barrel in the rest and straddle the front sight ramp. Real handy for installing brakes or re crowning. If you need a close up photo let me know and I will email a few.

------------------
Currently in Exile on the Beautiful Olympic Peninsula of Washington State.

My Warden sometimes allows me to respond to email. NEW Address is rifles@earthlink.net

***********Jail Flash*******
Web site under construction: http://home.earthlink.net/~rifles/

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
<George Stringer>
posted
Thanks, John! I'm always looking for better methods. I'd appreciate the photos. George