New
Find
Notify
Tools

416/350 action needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking to start a project. A friend John Turner has developed a 416/350Rem Wildcat.
I would like to use a starderd lentgh action. As the short action would be just a bit short for longer bullets.

I'm looking to build about a seven pound rifle for hunting in the mountains around here in MT.& maybe someday visit my unkle in AK. for a bear hunt.

What would be a good action for this prodject? But not looking to break the bank either.

The barrel will be Lilja (SP)as Johns gunsmith in Plains MT. already has the reemer and that is the barrel of choice for him.

I will be making the stock myself. With lots of help from John no doubt.

Any help would be nice here.
Thanks MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also any body have a good place to find a wood blank that doesn't cost an arm and a legg.

Say $800-$1000 range I think.
MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
SO, you didn't ask for this feedback, but just letting you know.

remember, the 350 rem is just slightly larger than the 30-06 case, in capacity. A 416/350 would basically be the least of all the 416 wildcats, except, perhaps, the 416x450 marlin.

The 416 taylor, 416 howell, and 416 AR are all 3.35" rounds, that fit the standard action, and will deliver nearly or slightly better than "rigby" performance in a standard length action.

the 7# bit is going to be tough today, as most barrel makers won't make you a paperthin tube, and you are probably going to be looking at a synthetic stock to get there.

the ruger 77mkII is a decent starting place for a kick around gun

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm looking to build about a seven pound rifle for hunting

That is going to be very difficult with a wood stock. My wifes 7X57 is 7# loaded with a HighTech stock, 2.5x8 Leupold and a late model MKX factory 22" barreled action.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Find a local woodworker to create a blank for you. My father-in-law made a Serengeti Riflestock like blank for $212. I'm finishing it for him now and will post here when done.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a savage 99 in 416/284 would fit the bill, from what I have read, and will likely eventually try sometime.