Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted
Anybody have any build experience with the Ruger M77 Tang safety action? What is your opinion of this action. I bought one at a gun show today in 338 Win Mag. Is it considered a good start for a build?

Does anybody know the shank diameter of the M77 Tang safety ruger. As you can see, I have absolutely no knowledge about the Rugers other than they are investment cast steel. bewildered

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anybody know the shank diameter of the M77 Tang safety ruger. As you can see, I have absolutely no knowledge about the Rugers other than they are investment cast steel

I thought it was the same as the MKII which is also the same as the m70. Or actually .998" for the Ruger 1" for the M70 both 16TPI I think the Ruger shank is .69" long. I know I have cut off the shank on a M70 take off and rechambered it for a MKII.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
Thanks ramrod340. I just compared it to a MRC barrel I have in 458 Win Mag and the shank on it is the same dia and threads per inch, also a 300 Rum I have from a Win. Classic. Opens new vistas for me.

How good are the Ruger M77 actions with the CRF extracter? Would they handle a 458 Lott? bewildered

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
How good are the Ruger M77 actions with the CRF extracter? Would they handle a 458 Lott?

As action strength no problem. I thought their magazine etc were set up for magnums in the 3.34" range. Simple step to replace them with the parts for the longer magnums. At least it is for the MKII I ASSUME it would be the same for the m77

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul. I have several barrels that will work with this action,. From 300 RUM to 460 WBY and the 338 could be rechambered to 340 WBY or 338-378. coffee

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the diagonal front action screw going to hit the extended mag fron?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the original is a pushfeed and doesn't really lend itself to an easy opening .. but it can be done.

They've certainly been made into 459 Lotts .. all of the AccRel carts, and lotts and lotts of 7stw.

they ARE wide enough to make a webby/rigby based round feed, but all the work would have to be in the BACK ...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39563 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
This article takes you through making a 375H&H in a MKII should be pretty much the same for a Lott. Yep Rich the work is done in the rear.

http://www.riflemagazine.com/m...?tocid=1186&magid=84

As usual just my $.02
Paul K