New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to respond
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got back from WY yesterday, skimmed AR and found a question about a 500 Jeff TD I made a while back. I try to answer all questions, so....whoever asked about the front ring, please PM me....(Can't find the topic)

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Not my questions but I think this is the rifle:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti...m.asp?Item=142543856

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Duane,
Robgunbuilder asked you a heat treating question thread
http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/8181056711/p/3

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fla 3006: Thanks: The receiver ring has been "added on" via a false ring superimposed on the original ring. No soldering or welding, just done to provide a longer radius for the scope mounting system.

Still...This rifle cracked my eyebrow at least 10 times. much too short eye relief on the Kahles (for me!) Others shot it without the slightest incident...

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
The receiver ring has been "added on" via a false ring superimposed on the original ring. No soldering or welding, just done to provide a longer radius for the scope mounting system.

So, how is the ring held on? I'm sure that is a stupid question, but I had to ask.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Some weaker souls would throw in the towel after only 6 or 8 whacks.

How is this attached without any welding or soldering? Is it a cylinder around the front ring? I don't see a seam.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't gotta show you no stinking seam! Actually...there are set screws coming in from the bottom. The "seamless" you don't see is just careful blending.

Look very carefully at the rear of the ring...you'll see the seam.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is so damned good it is funny! Wow!

HBH

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work! I can just see the seam, I take it that the barrel doesn't attach to the extension? I guess the serial number is a copy of the actual number on the receiver if the the extension isn't permanently attached?

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that is really amazing. beautiful work.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall that this same technique was used on one of the very early ACGG auction rifles. I believe it was a 1917 Enfield that had a sleeve attached to it.

Good Stuff.