New
Find
Notify
Tools

rebarreling a ruger m77 II
 Login/Join

<gundog>
posted
Greetings! I am new to this board, and would like to ask a question. I am left-handed and have given up my quest to find a used left-handed rifle with wich to build a 338-06. As I have not found a suitable used rifle for this project, I have decided to obtain a new Ruger M77 Mark II in 30-06 and rebarrel to 338. I have never attempted this before and would like to hear the opinion's of those on this board.

If I am correct, I need to rechamber & head space as well. Is there anything else that I should consider before I embark on this project? The work will be done by a smith, but I would like to have some idea of what is involved. Funds are not unlimited, and if it will be too expensive, I may simply take what I can get in a standard caliber and wait on this project.

Thank you in advance. Mark.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It will cost you way more than if you just bought a 338 Win. that will do anything the 338-06 will do and a heck of a lot more..and ammo will be available anywhere in the world.

A re-barrel and chamber will cost a minumum of $300 over and above the cost of your rifle. and that would buy a lot of powder and bullets or ammo..

Wildcats are just games, and if thats what you enjoy then go for it, but the days of wildcatting something we havn't got or havn't done is about over..

A better caliber also is the 9.3x62 and near identical case, and if fact can be made from 06 brass...just some rambling food for thought.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gundog: Ray is correct of course, but if you still want to re-barrel a used .30-06 with a .338-06 barrel, then you may want to buy a well used .30-06.

For example, I found a used Post-64 Winchester Model 70 at a local pawn shop. There were several .30-06 rifles there, and the one I selected only cost $200.00. This rifle is in perfect shape, except for the stock and a scratched floor plate, but it was much cheaper than a Pre-64 Model 70 ($1,200 for the Pre-64).

I will send the rifle to Pac-Nor so they can replace the barrel with one of their stainless .338-06 barrels. The barrel costs $180.00, plus $100.00 for fitting it. A .338 barrel won't do, since it has to be a .338-06 barrel (a .30-06 chamber for a .30-06 case, with a .338 hole up in front for the .338 bullet).

I replaced the stock with a Hogue Rubber-Overmolded (pillar bedded), and got a low-power Vary-X III Leupold scope for it. The scope alone costs over $300.00, and $100.00 for the stock at Cabela's. However, the rifle itself will cost just about $500.00, not too bad for a .338 wildcat.

My favorite cartridge for Alaska is the .338 Magnum, and that's what I use here. The .338-06 will be a present to my oldest son upon his HS graduation next year, and it should be an excellent moose and bear gun.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<gundog>
posted
Ray & Ray, Thanks for the reply's. I do not think that the 338-06 is as much cartridge as the 338 Win mag. However, I am intrigued by the 338-06. By the time all is said and done, I may simply buy a 338 and be done with it. But for now the quest continues.

Ray in Alaska - If I shot right handed I could've purchased any number of rifles by now for this project at similar prices as you have indicated. However, most of the used left-handed rifles I have considered for this project (regardless of condition), seem to be priced like they are family heirlooms.

If I go through with this idea, it looks like I will be buying a new rifle for the project. Thanks for the tip on the 338-06 barrel. Makes perfect sense, but somehow I'd overlooked that fact. Ever have a moment like that? Someone said it is a sign of age.

As I said to someone yesterday, if I found the right deal in a lefty 35 Whelen, this quest would probably come to an end.

Thanks again. Mark.

one of us
posted Hide Post
gundog: The .338 Magnum is my favorite cartridge for the type of hunting I do.

The .338-06 is a great cartridge, much like the .35 Whelen. For those that can handle the recoil of the .30-06 and don't like the added recoil of Magnum cartridges, then these two cartridges are ideal.

There is another wildcat that is gaining popularity, and that's the .338-308. This one is a .308 case with .338 bullets. Yes, the .308 case holds enough powder to push a heavier bullet.

By stepping up the .30-06 to a heavier .338 bullet the amount of powder in the case is not diminished. Get your hands on the Hodgdon Data Manual #26 for more details on this cartridge.

If I had the money...You can bet I would be working on a few wildcats. The .338-06 and the .338-308 would be on top of my list. These two should be ideal for deer to elk. The .338-06 with 250-grain bullets at 2,600+ fps should be good for bears.

[This message has been edited by Ray, Alaska (edited 04-29-2001).]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
Weatherby is going to offer the 338-06 loaded amm in 2001, so there will be a source for "factory" ammo. The average cost of installing a quality SS barrel will run in the $400-450 range, this would include trueing the action and lapping the lugs. One other suggestion would be some trigger work or a different trigger. Yes this is more than a new factory rifle will cost, but it is MORE rifle than the factory offers!