New
Find
Notify
Tools

.260 Rem dead already?
 Login/Join

<Loren>
posted
According to their web page Savage has ditched this chambering, and it looks like Remington may have too. Ruger still lists it, but they haven't updated their web page in ages.

Any news?

*** I didn't look hard enough - Remington only discontinued it in the model 7. It's still available in 7 youth and 700 mountain models. ****

[This message has been edited by Loren (edited 04-03-2002).]

<Harry>
posted
Browning dropped it and I have one in the stainless stalker which is just a deer killing machine. Very plesant to shoot.
I dug out Ruger 2002 catalog and still listed.

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 04-03-2002).]

<Gary Rihn>
posted
It would be a shame if they killed it off already. With some time to catch on, I'd think it should be a very popular caliber.

Then again, it doesn't say MAGNUM in it's name, so it may be a losing battle...

one of us
posted Hide Post
IF Rem dropped it - that would be a major piss-off. If I had bought one, and rem dropped the caliber a year later, that would be the last Rem I would buy - and I would loudly let them know why too.

<Gary Rihn>
posted
Johnny-

Not necessarily. Even if they don't chamber for it, you'll be able to get ammo for it. Look at some of the more obscure calibers. You can't find anyone, anywhere, chambering new rifles for them, but you can still get factory ammo. If you have one, and they quit chambering for it, you haven't really been hurt.

Still, it would be a shame to drop it so quickly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another short action cartridge bites the dust. Seemed a fool thing to introduce when the 708 is a better overall cartridge and it can't compete with the 308. Sort of like the 300 WSM, a short bolt action 30 cal magnum for 24 inch barrels, so what?

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
About 5% of the population buys "new" stuff as soon as it comes out. They can't help it. They are bored by common sense things.

The .260 Rem was never of any use as a hunting cartridge.

But the idea is to sell rifles. So the .25 Remington, .250 Savage, .257 roberts, 6.5 X 54 MS. 6.5 Rem mag. .240 Weatherby, 25-35 et all are created when game does not come in that size. A .300 Savage would be better than any of them and far more flexable.

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I feel they went about the .260 Rem in the wrong way. Even though a long action the 6,5 x 57 mm has a huge following overseas so avalibility of components would not be a problem. In the case of a short action I like the 6,5 x .284 better.

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The 6.5mm or .264 bore size has never been particularly popular here, but the medium-sized 6.5's, eg., 260 Rem, 6.5X57, and 6.5X55 are all great little cartridges. If I were to buy one, however, my choice would have been the 6.5X55. I do hope, though, thaat the .260 Rem. has not been dropped.

<Harry>
posted
Well folks...I own three ranches in west Texas and a gun store. We get to shoot lots of critters with various toys. Daughter shoots a 243, son a 260 and I play with a 7/08. All are great whitetail deer killers. Nothing has run off from any of the three to date.
Granted I think my 7/08 is the best overall but I have taken 5 deer to date with the 260 and all were one shot and dramatic. For you knocking it I think that is because you have not had the chance to try it in the field. The 7/08 is a cartridge that does not look too keen on paper but performs like crazy in the field...I think you will find the same for the 260 if you use one. An elk cartridge it is not but deer and down do not like it at all.

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 04-03-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kinda wondered why it existed anyways. We have a 6.5X55 and a few of the same. There has been alot of cartridge craze in the past 6 years, and one thing is for sure... the old stand by's are still existing.
take care

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't mean to be knocking it, I just meant that it was introduced to sell a few rifles for the short 6.5 fad. I really can't see why the 708 has not been more popular and the 260 was introduced with a load almost duplicating the 708's original factory load. Then again the 308 is the one to beat in the short action crowd and it can be loaded to duplicate the others recoil level and with a greater selection of bullets to choose from.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
<6.5 Guy>
posted
If the .260 is being given up on by the manufacturers, then it's not due to any failings of the cartridge itself. For women or teenagers, it is about the perfect deer cartridge. My wife has killed three deer with her Ruger SS/lam in .260 Rem, using 100 grain Partitions moving along at 3,200 fps. All the deer were one shot, nearly instant kills. There is very little recoil to speak of, so my thirteen year old niece can shoot it comfortably also. I guess I'd better get one for her while I still can.

It doesn't really matter to me if it's no longer chambered or not. I handload, and brass for this cartridge is probably more available than just about any other round. .243, 7-08, and .308 cases all neck up/down just fine for use. You can't say that about the Swede, by the way (of which I own three). Brass can be kinda tough to find locally sometimes.

Overall the .260 is a good cartridge, just not as sexy as the short mags, ultra mags, short ultra mags, etc...

<Loren>
posted
I guess I didn't look hard enough on the Rem web page. I found that Reminton still offers the model 7 youth in .260 and the 700 mountain rifle, it's just the model 7 adult sizes that they dropped. So Remington still supports it, and apparently Ruger also, only Savage ditched it, they're such a high volume low margin outfit they have to limit their options.

I'm still trying to decide between .257 Roberts, .260 Rem, 6.5x55 and 7mm-08. I already have a "deer- elk" rifle, I want a mild recoil target/varmit rifle that's suitable for medium size big game as well.

<Phil R>
posted
The .260 is a great eastern whitetail rifle, ideal for ladies, youngsters and tired old guys like me. I've got two that I shoot & hunt with, and an extra Stainless Synthetic Rem #7 that's new in the box that I'll sell below wholesale if anyone is interested.

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think the 260 is one of the best cartridges to come down the pike in a long time... it's "A More Versatile .257 Roberts."

It'll fit in any modern short action.

It'll handle varmints with 85-95 grain bullets.

It'll handle deer-sized stuff with 100, 120, 125, 129, 130 and 140 grain bullets.

High quality "match-grade" bullets are made in 6.5mm for the target sooter.

Really, with those choices, it's probably the best "dual-purpose" round in existance. Better on deer-sized stuff with heavier bullts. While certainly not ideal (neither is the 7-08) it could be used on elk in a pinch. I really doubt there's any practical difference on deer between the 260 and 7-08, and the 260 will serve one better on varmint-sized stuff.

I believe the rumors of its demise are premature... around here they sell like hot-cakes.

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great cartridge, wrong market.
Before Remington offered the .260, a lot of folks were using them ie. 6.5-08. But for the most part those people weren�t hunters, they were target shooters.
The 6.5-08 has a strong following in the NRA High power rifle crowd. The bullets have a great BC, the recoil is lower than 7-08, unlike the 6.5X55, great brass is available at a cheep price in the form of 308 or 243 cases, and it shoots like a dream out to 600yrds.
A great target shooters caliber...........but something hunters could get along without.

------------------
J.W.
Hero of the Hapless
Master of the Obvious

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
I must not understand Mr. Blute's comments. You have a group of posters here from mixed areas of the country all saying they like it for lack of recoil and the fact it kills deer dead. Now..the 243 was designed (as I understand it) as a varmint cartridge. Well, the boys in the whitetail country found it killed deer dead and with no recoil. Then comes along the 7/08 (supposedly the best whitetail round at the time) and the same bunch found it would kill deer quite dead and again with little recoil. With the right bullets the occassional elk would give it up. Still was supposed to be a hell of a deer rifle.
Now comes the 260. It is supposedly the "1 cubic inch = 1 brake horsepower" of rifles. the best mix of bore size, bullet wt. length of bullet, cross section of bullet. Well, lots of folks seem to agree with that. Lots of dead deer agree with that. If recoil sensitive people can shoot the standard factory fodder, enjoy it and kill deer successfully with it...how come it is for target shooters only and not good for hunters?
I have preached 7/08 to buyers for years. Many of my customers looked at me like I belonged on the funny farm. Those that bought my story are happy campers. In all the years I have been in business I have had only two 7/08's for resale. One because the customer found I was right when I told him not to buy it in laminate as it would be too heavy and then...he bought a different stocked 7/08. The last one was a neat, unfired Alpha Arms I sold for a widow. It sold quick at $1400.00.
The 7/08 is not well known...folks still think you must mean 7 Mag but still the 7/08 keeps slowly but surely selling and doing the job.
There just needs to be time allowed for the 260 to take off. Anything that is handy, has minimal recoil and lays deer down easily will be a seller. Sometimes it just takes the buying public awhile to catch on.
As I have said in previous post we have 243, 260 and 7/08 in our personal rifles and like them all. The 260 was the latest buy but already in two yrs. it had killed something like 5 or 6 whitetail all one shot kills. Standard, inexpensive Rem Core Lokt 140 grn. We started with that, it did so well that we have yet to try the other loadings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote from Don Martin "So the .25 Remington, .250 Savage, .257 roberts, 6.5 X 54 MS. 6.5 Rem mag. .240 Weatherby, 25-35 et all are created when game does not come in that size."

I don't know about most of those cartridges with the exception of the .250 Savage and the .257 Roberts. And I have seen a lot of mule deer that would argue with you if they could. They can't though, they are dead, very dead, as dead as they would have been with a .300 savage, or a .375 H& H for that matter.

Chic

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did or does anyone make a heavy barrel .260?

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Rem Model 7 Stainless/Synthetic a few years ago as my first 'big game' rifle. Nice light little rifle w/ a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 scope, shoots factory fodder and handloads into 3/4" or maybe abit more, more than sufficient for anything it's going to be used on. I have to admit, I'm a bit of a wuss about recoil, so a stiff load out of a .260 in that Model 7 is about as much as I care to shoot in a string from the bench. In the field, recoil probably wouldn't be a problem.

My only issue is that mine seemed to come w/ deer repellent embedded in the stock or something. 3 years after mule deer in western Nebraska = no dead dear for me. First year had a buck-only tag, only saw does. Next year, had an either-sex tag, saw nothing. Last year had buck-only again here in North Central Washington, and had does standing there 50ft away looking at me curiously. Grrrrr...

I'm cooking up a predator load w/ the 95gr Hornady V-Max bullets for coyotes; maybe it'll do better at attracting them

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Slamfire>
posted
I've got a bum shoulder thanks to a gravedigger who turned right out of a left turn pocket in front of my motorcycle. I kinda like the .260 as I can shoot bullets that weigh 20 grains less than the equivalent 7mm bullets. I've used the 6.5x55 and the 6.5x57 on big 'bou and small elk, and don't find it wanting. I never bought one but rebored my old .243. Remington didn't get any of my money cause they don't make a good bullet. I like the Hornady 129 for mixed bag deer, black bear and hog hunting here in Tennessee. My rifle likes it too. I think its the best round chambered in Rugers Compact with the 16.5 inch barrel.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Outstanding cartridge, but a saturated market, and in general, a poorly informed buying public.

This is the round that offers true dual roles of varmint and big game game, with mild recoil. Ie, it fits the billing of the 243, but actually can produce the goods. But, just like the .358 win, it isn't exciting, so won't sell enough for the big makers to be interested.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry,

What I meant in my post was that a reason existed for the target shooters to get excited about the 6.5-08 and upgrade their match rifles to this caliber to gain some advantage.

Hunters on the other hand, already had many choices that would fit the bill just fine. (including 6.5X55 which is nearly identical) If a hunter already owns a deer rifle (.243 � 30-06) there is no reason to upgrade to the new .260. (Most hunters only shoot a few rounds per year and the deer will not be more dead if hit by a .260.)

Thus, marketing the 260 to the hunting crowd isn�t going to generate stellar sales.

------------------
J.W.
Hero of the Hapless
Master of the Obvious

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
JW... but...

The 6.5x55 doesn't fit modern short-actions... that's what people actually buy. IF the 260 were marketed as it SHOULD BE, i.e, as the "best" dual-purpose, varmint's to deer rifle around, it would do better.

Remington, et.al., are losing a good bet by not loading the 85-95 gr. varmint weights AS WELL as the flat-shooting 120-130's AND heavier 140's... they're to busy selling their Ultra-Gag's to give attention to this genuine hunting-round that the average-joe can actually shoot and hit with...

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
the 260 was a dumb idea, just like the short mags!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
GSF... exactly HOW is the 260 "a dumb idea...?"

Any other enlightening comments you have to offer the conversation?

<Ross Spagrud>
posted
We consider the 260 to be a superior round
for both medium game and long range target
work.

My partner Steve Altstadt has inspired fear
in the hearts of those who have dared to
challenge him in various long range disciplines with their "superior" magnum
rounds.

Ross
www.prairiegunworks.com

<MontanaMarine>
posted
I think the .260 is an awesome round. But I think there are a whole lot of hunters(not to be confused with shooting enthusiasts like many or all of us who partake in these forums) who buy their .270 or 30-06 at Wally World with a couple boxes of ammo and that suits their needs.

My dad for example, looked at me confused when I speak of a short action. He isn't familiar with it or see any advantage in less. So I think the short action thing is lost on a lot of folks, and they see the .260 as something less than a .270, so what is to be excited about???

There are just a huge majority of gun buyers/owners who know little to nothing about the details. A lot of people think the grains indicated on a box of ammo is the amount of powder in the case.

Unfortunately for certified gun lovers, the big manufacturers cater to the buying habits of the masses.

MM

[This message has been edited by MontanaMarine (edited 04-05-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well maybe a magazine writer will re-discover this cartridge too. Then the 260 will have a renewal. Until then, if you want one, you will have to buy a Ruger or build one.

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the .260 was introduced as a factory chamber in 97 or 98. I've wanted one since the day they came out. I think they are a great deer cartridge. I remember reading that the .260 was the hottest selling round Remington ever produced in it's first year.
I think what has done the .260 unjust, is like stated before, the average Joe buys his gun and ammo from WallyWorld. Then people that know a little better, buy from gun shops. I just ordered a T/C Encore im 7mm-08 two weeks ago, and the shop owner tried talking me into a magnum. I have no use for such gun, if I can't kill an animal with my 30'06, I don't hunt it. I've experienced and seen numerous instances, where people wanted a light recoiling rifle like the .260, 7-08, but because of the customers size, the shop owner called it a "girls gun" and that they'd be better suited with a magnum. I like my "girl guns" .243, .257, 708. I know they won't jar my teeth out of my head, and I'll hit my target. I think it's instances like the one above, that has hurt such cartridges. My next gun, hopefully will be a Kimber 84M in guess what .260 Rem.

Hudge

[This message has been edited by Hudge (edited 04-05-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott- the Remington Heavy Barrel Laminated stock 700 was/is available in 260 Rem. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<ChuckD>
posted
It seems to me that these days the new hunters buy what Dad has at the best price (270, 'o6, or .308) or gotta have the latest magnum hotrod--and all of us older guys were there once. I have 40 years of hunting big game hunting under my belt, and have observed that it is the shooter, not caliber, that seals the deal AT ANY RANGE ON ANY GAME. That said, the two biggest issues facing Joe average hunter is a lack of practice (with any gun!) and a fear of and failure to realize/admit it of recoil. The 260 and others similiar would solve a lot of problems for a lot of hunters, but when your self-esteem hinges on having magnum as part of the headstamp on your ammo, well--- I like 1500 fps muzzleloaders with roundballs. .44 mags, .32 special, .308 is about the best Ive seen, 300 savage, etc. If you can honestly shoot it well, it doesnt matter--but lots of choices do. Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
GSF... exactly HOW is the 260 "a dumb idea...?"

Any other enlightening comments you have to offer the conversation?

It's offers nothing the 6.5x55 can't do, and it is over 100years old!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSF1200:
It's offers nothing the 6.5x55 can't do, and it is over 100years old!

I started shooting the 6.5X55 in 1959. Love it. However I can squeeze 200 ft/sec more out of a 260 WITH an OAL of 3.1" or so.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wallyw:
I started shooting the 6.5X55 in 1959. Love it. However I can squeeze 200 ft/sec more out of a 260 WITH an OAL of 3.1" or so.

Wally

You must be running much higher pressure in the 260

<Chainsaw>
posted
Loren wrote, <Savage ditched it, they're such a high volume low margin outfit they have to limit their options.>

Except if your left handed, Savage is a god send to us Southpaws---------Chainsaw

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
GSF, well, you still haven't answered my question! Not being a 6.5x55 or being 100 years old doesn't qualify as "enlightened" conversation!

Neat round though it is, the 6.5x55 is too long for a modern short-action and too short for a modern long-action. I'm not hampered with an overly sentimental view of cartridges... they're all just variations on a brass-cylinder theme. I also don't think cartridge design ceased to be relevant after 1912 (or thereabouts).

Any other relevant ideas?

<6.5 Guy>
posted
According to a friend of mine who works for a major firearms distributor, .260 Rem chambered hunting rifles have outsold .308 Win chambered hunting rifles two to one over the last three years.

Doesn't sound dead to me...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
GSF, well, you still haven't answered my question! Not being a 6.5x55 or being 100 years old doesn't qualify as "enlightened" conversation!

Neat round though it is, the 6.5x55 is too long for a modern short-action and too short for a modern long-action. I'm not hampered with an overly sentimental view of cartridges... they're all just variations on a brass-cylinder theme. I also don't think cartridge design ceased to be relevant after 1912 (or thereabouts).

Any other relevant ideas?

Since I only use Mauser actioned rifles, and not the poorly designed cheaply made Remington's, I prefer my cartridges to be in the 55 to 63mm length that fit's so well in a M98.