Find
Notify
Tools

.260 Rem dead already?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
GSF... finally, a good answer! I mean it.

I'll not disagree, the Mauser 98 is an awesome action. The 6.5x55 is PERFECTLY adapted to that action. I'd much sooner have the 6.5x55 (being a Norwegian I'd never call it "The Swede") chambered in a 98 than the 260... I use CRF Model 70's exclusively... in the SA version, even with the magazine block removed and the bolt stop and extractor shortened you still can't get the 6.5x55 to fit. The LA Model 70 is way too large, hence my defense of the "modern" 6.5-08 in a "modern" SA. I'd never use a Model 700 for anything except a door-stop, albeit an ugly one!

Good Shooting,

Brad

<JOHAN>
posted
260 is dead??

No wonder. The old 6,5X55 and 6,5X57 are old and very brute cartridges that is not easy to beat. The little 260 had no chance against the two old gentlemen. Perhaps the 260 were a perfect solution to a non exsisting problem ?? I would never gotten a 260. The 7-08 would be much better.

/ JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first center fire rifle was an Arisaka Model 38 6,5X51, which I bought in a pawn shop in 1958. I took it to a gunsmith to have it checked and found myself talked in to rechambering it to what we then referred to as the 6,5X.308. It also had the barrel shortened to 24", the bolt altered and was drilled and tapped for scope mounts as well as a receiver sight.

It turned out to be a Swiss Army knife of rifles, effective as a varmint rifle with 93 grain bullets and a deer rifle with 120-140 grainers. I still have it, although I once gave it to my oldest and closest friend. When he died, his widow returned it to me.

Since then, I have had a Mauser sporter built aroud the same cartridge and a pre-64 Model 70 Winchester rebarreled in the same caliber, also. The Mauser made an ideal hunting rifle and the Model 70 served me well as an across the course target rifle.

Now age and infirmity have forced me to abandon target thooting, although I still spend a good amount of time in the woods during deer season. I have sold most of my target rifles, but my 6.5-08 Mauser is not one I am willing to part with just yet.

Remington seems slow to get on the band wagon. They did the same with the .35 Whelen, by attemptimg to commercialize a cartridge which had already established itself as a wildcat, as they did with the .257 Roberts, the .22-.250 and the .25-06. The .260 Remington has its niche and I expect it will maintain it, irrespective of whether it is offered in factory chamberings.

One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 Creedmoor is the .260 done right Smiler.

--------------------------------------------

Nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Posts: 774 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
15 year old thread, back from the dead.. popcorn

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SMACK!!!!:
The 6.5 Creedmoor is the .260 done right Smiler.

Since there is nothing a 6.5 Creedmore will do that a .260 Remington won't with a fraction more velocity and significantly less brass cost, I'd like you to qualify that remark.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
Simple... 6.5 Creedmoor case length Vs .260 Remington case length. High BC, heavy, long for caliber bullets. Short action Mag box and magazine lengths. Seating depth, powder space.

The math is quiet simple.

--------------------------------------------

Nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Posts: 774 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The magazine issue is mostly between peoples ears.
Most target ammo is fed single shot.

quote:
Originally posted by SMACK!!!!:
Simple... 6.5 Creedmoor case length Vs .260 Remington case length. High BC, heavy, long for caliber bullets. Short action Mag box and magazine lengths. Seating depth, powder space.

The math is quiet simple.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are essentially identical, but there is nothing the 6.5 CM will do that the .260 won't do a fraction better.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote