Find
Notify
Tools

Those cute little levers?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
Just to set the record straight, on which side of a rifle are you supposed to put the levers of a quick detach scope ring?

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
left for a righty and visa a versa. preference

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
On a Mauser they can run into or block the bolt release and may have to be on the opposite side.

Yes, I know you can turn, pull them out, turn some more, but that is not my idea of quick.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
historically I can't say.....but I am right handed and they are on the right side. Remmys, Winchesters Mausers, easier in taking off scope an using irons and grabbing the bolt. Charles made a good point.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
on big bores (i don't know for sub .400)
for a right loading gun, the levers go on the left, to prevent there being "Crap" to run your right hand into...

I've seen them on the right, and then trying to load them becomes "being aware of sharp corners that might tear into your hand"...

in other words, one tends to reload more and more "urgently" than removing a scope...

at least, that's my thoughts on it

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
For visual balance, I would say the opposite side of the windage turret, i.e. the Ottmar Rifle photo's posted above.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Someone said something awhile back about recoil loosening them if they are on the left side of the rifle. I had all mine on the left side but then I changed them because of this, although I hadn't experienced it.

spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I've got customers shooting some pretty big kicking guns with QD rings and none of them have any trouble and theirs are all mounted on the left.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
I've got customers shooting some pretty big kicking guns with QD rings and none of them have any trouble and theirs are all mounted on the left.

Thank you! I have them on the right now, I think I'll leave them there for awhile and see how I like it. It is good to know that If I prefer them on the left I have that option.

spinksranch.com