Find
Notify
Tools

Howa Barreled actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
They seem to be the only game in town.

My nephews each want me to make them a rifle. They would be classic bolt action hunitng rifles. I'd use a pre 64 M70 or a mauser, a pac-nor or shilen barrel, a fajen classic stock, and make something that looks like a Dakota. But, all that stuff is gone today.

Are the Howa 1500's good enough to build on?

Boyd's stock? I see they are proud of super sloppy inletting in the barrel channel. How bad are they?

I need to keep this faily simple and goal oriented.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought two of them one a 22-250 and the other a 308 win. Both of them shoot really good. I just ordered one more 308 and a 223.

Very good value IMO.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
-What stock did you use?

-Did they come with a magazine?

-Plastic parts?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
weatherby likes them -- sells them as the vanguard

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of pre 64 model 70 I would sell for you to use as a donor. Mine are complete rifles.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they are the best bang for the buck action on the market today. I prefer old Mauser and Winchesters, but if I were forced to buy a mass production rifle today, it would probably be a howa. I've literally handled hundreds of them, and I'm moderately impressed, which is not the case with many other current mass produced rifles. I saw a beautiful custom 35 Whelen built on a Howa, and it was reportedly a tack driver.

Another good bargain are the interarms/Charles Daly/Remington 798 Zastava Mausers - amongst the other names for them. There's a lot of them out there, and at good prices. I'm polishing one up at the moment.

If I am working, hunting season is too far away to imagine. If I am getting things ready for hunting season, opening day is perilously close.

Posts: 111 | Location: Llano Estacado | Registered: 12 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scota4570:
-What stock did you use?

-Did they come with a magazine?

-Plastic parts?

I went cheap and used the "tactically" stock.

Yep, hinged floor plate.

No plastic.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by the only game in town?

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heard somewhere that the Howa actions are metric. Maybe someone else can verify this, but if it's true be sure your lathe can cut metric threads before starting.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Howa action threads are M26-1.5, tang screws are M6-1 and the base screws are 6x46 TPI.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 204& 25-05. Couldn't be happier. Have a vanguard action in the drawer that will get a 280 barrel on it soon.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have barreled them and I can tell you that they used a 9 foot cheater bar and tightened the barrels on tighter than lug nuts on a Kenworth. They basically, don't come off. I part them off to prevent any possibility of receiver warpage. Yes they are metric; that means nothing.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
You can buy a Montana barreled action, there are a couple of options built on Savage clones.

Shilen also sells barreled actions on a Shilen marked action made in Texas. I can't remember the name of it.

Any option for a barreled action that is not a Howa is $1500.

It might or might not shoot as well as a Howa.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I have barreled them and I can tell you that they used a 9 foot cheater bar and tightened the barrels on tighter than lug nuts on a Kenworth. They basically, don't come off. I part them off to prevent any possibility of receiver warpage. Yes they are metric; that means nothing.

Odd that is, yes?

I have never had a problem removing barrels from the Howas. I routinely pull the Mossbergs, S&W and Vanguard and they always screw off easily. The odd time a P17 or P14 will be grumpy and those badly rusted on Mausers require a bit of bouncing on the wrench. One thing I have noted about the Howa barrels is that the threads are VERY sloppy from the factory and once broke free the barrels literally rattle off. The Mark V Weatherby threads are quite sloppy too. I suppose a lot of that is due to CNC manufacturing. Since that came about everything seems to need a plastic ring in the threads, lock tight or castle nuts to stay tight these days.

The ones I do have a problem with are the Lee Enfields because I never have made a proper wrench for them. But the only person who ever wants me to pull them is my little Jewish buddy and I always part them and they screw off by hand.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I never turn off Enfield barrels of any type; I part them off; too much danger of cracking the receiver. Why take the risk?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
You can buy a Montana barreled action, there are a couple of options built on Savage clones.

Shilen also sells barreled actions on a Shilen marked action made in Texas. I can't remember the name of it.

Shilen DGR (repeater) DGV (repeater)
DGA is out of production - i loved mine

this are "super" remingtons -
http://www.shilen.com/productsCompleteRifles.html

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently barreled two how a 1500s, the barrels came off fine. The guy wanted me to change the threads to 1" x 16.........strange but he wanted to be able to use push feed 70 take offs........gotta wonder.....

I went ahead and did it. Only about a one thread difference over the length of the tenon. I ran a 1"x16 tap in then interference threaded the barrels pretty tight. Worked out well strangely enough.

What I don't understand is why they cut the bolt nose recess so large on factory barrels. I just used the .705 like remington......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My buddy the gunsmith had a son that was left handed. At the time the only left handed rifles were Savage. He had redone many, many Mausers, mainly 98's, and put the barrels and the stocks in the trash... (I cried to hear it)... He told me he was very impressed with the complete redesign of the "bolt action" away from the Mauser standard (which of course included the 1903). He built the kid a custom on a 110 Savage and never looked back. He and I, right handed, went where we pleased. He did a couple 98's for me and a couple '03s but he had no lack of respect for the Savage. With the interchangeable barrel feature today... something to think about. Luck. Happy Trails.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I never turn off Enfield barrels of any type; I part them off; too much danger of cracking the receiver. Why take the risk?

coffee

Crack, Tom ? ! ? ! ? ! ?

You're probably thinking American Enfields, P17 and P14. I'm talking British Enfields, the tent peg model, the tomato stake model and the ever popular jack handle model. Those things are too soft to even hammer horse shoes out of. The only worry I have with those things is twisting them into pretzels if a run a file through the receiver to twist them off after parting them. LOL

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do not underestimate the Turk Mausers . Yes I know , they are a bit crude compared to other Mausers but how else would the LARGEST purchaser of Mausers get the cost down . Easy , increase feed rates , eliminate locking screws etc . Still a very strong lr 98 . Just don't go with the 1903 intermediate ' obendorf ' actions .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

Shilen DGR (repeater) DGV (repeater)
DGA is out of production - i loved mine

this are "super" remingtons -
http://www.shilen.com/productsCompleteRifles.html

Unless something has changed, Jerry Stiller makes the actions for Shilen.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac's Gunworks Gillette Wyoming. Small custom shop but makes a beautiful 700 footprint action. Good price.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote