THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cartridge Discrimination, Who Is Guilty?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.35 whelen does not interest me much, and there are many others I can't think of at the moment.......................funnily enough the .270 does not do much for me either, it's no varmint gun and it's no 30/06 Big Grin

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I like the .270, but love 7mm's. All of them. I also like the .308 Norma Magnum, but think the .300 Win. Mag. should have been a .30/.338!

IO generally have little use for way overbore capacity stuff- cartridges that need an extra 50 grains of powder to give 10 FPS more velocity.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
300 Win. Mag. should have been a .30/.338!

Ditto Big Grin

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
The 243 is worthless, but I have a fondness for the 6mm Rem.
The 260 Rem is a stupid cartridge, but I love the 6.5X55.
The 7-08 is worthless, but I love the 7X57.
The 308 is fun in a military rifle but serves no purpose in the field. I've never owned a 30-06 and see no reason to, but a mild load in the 300 H&H is the cat's meow.
The 25-06 and the 7mm Rem Mag are a POS, but I worship at the 270 alter.
You couldn't give me a 35 Whelan, but I'd love to have a 338-06.
I hate the 416 Wby, but I love the big case and low pressure of my 416 Rigby.

These views are not discriminatory, but well founded positions based on scientific theory.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
The 243 is worthless, but I have a fondness for the 6mm Rem.
The 260 Rem is a stupid cartridge, but I love the 6.5X55.
The 7-08 is worthless, but I love the 7X57.
The 308 is fun in a military rifle but serves no purpose in the field. I've never owned a 30-06 and see no reason to, but a mild load in the 300 H&H is the cat's meow.
The 25-06 and the 7mm Rem Mag are a POS, but I worship at the 270 alter.
You couldn't give me a 35 Whelan, but I'd love to have a 338-06.
I hate the 416 Wby, but I love the big case and low pressure of my 416 Rigby.

These views are not discriminatory, but well founded positions based on scientific theory.

Heh Heh.....

That about sums up the spirit of every discussion I've heard or read about in the last 40 years.

Nicely done, Forrest.

Smiler

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Any of the .17 RF's Flash in the pan.
30-06 - too plain vanilla for me
Any of the short/super short mags
The 7.62x39. Hundreds of them all over the ground at the range I belong to. It ain't pretty and the guns are all junk, IMHO.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm guilty, have no use for the short mag.s or anything that has a belted case. the 17's are mouse control only. now ask how I really feel about the 17's. long live the 270 win and its fans.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything with "ultra", "short", "super-short", Weatherby, .260 Rem, 7-08 Rem. And, all the factory rifles that won't let you seat bullets out for best accuracy due to the craze over a short rifle--which gains you a half-inch usually.

My two favorites are 7mm Rem Mag and .22-250. My .25-06 is close behind, and I'm getting ready to build a 6mm Rem on a long action so I can get the mostest out of it instead of having to shoot a magazine rifle as a single shot due to the short magazine and long throat you get.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
real question to those that don't like the 708...

ever have one? to compare side by side with the 7x57?

i have... i think it's of the best calibers of all time... though, perhaps, a wildcat (still waiting for you answer, allen) to some

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
243 and 6mm don't do much for me.

I don't have any use for "magnums" (short or long), except the 41 and 44 mags...

Not a fan of any 22 centerfire, except the 222.

Have no interest in any sub-22 caliber centerfires.

The 277, 308, 338, 348, and 375 (and up) bores are not of interest to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems odd that the ol'270 gets so much heat here, while it consistantly runs in the top 4 according to the RCBS list of die sales. Since most "uninformed" hunters don't reload, somebody with some knowledge likes it. Had a guy at work tell me that he hates the 270 because he had two coyotes run off after good hits. He bought a 7 mag. and hasn't had trouble since. I tried to explain that maybe the bullet he used was a bit too tough for coyotes and didn't open up. He informed me that he always bought the "good" stuff at Wal-Mart and the 7 mag was way better. Now I'm not argueing it's superiority on the bigger stuff, but coyotes?
Actually, there is so much overlap between many of our cartridges, what one guy likes or doesn't like is just personal preference and has little to do with real world perfomance on game.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really don't have to much of a problem with most of the carts, but I do have a problem with pistol carts as a rifle round.........44 mag in a rifle just doesnt seem to fit........I've done my share of hunting and killed a lot of paper, just not sure what you'd use it for.

I think most bashing of certain rounds is typically caused from bad shots, wrong cal for job and or...........wrong bullet.

I personally don't care for 243 as a Deer cal, but that doesnt mean it a bad round.....its I think there are many other rounds more suited when I've dropped money on a Mexico whitetail hunt.

I hear people running down 270 win.......a 270 will kill deer sized game just as dead as anything else. I hear people running down the trajectory of 30/06..........I just keep my mouth shut......cause after a guy hauls is out of shape ass up a hill at 10k feet and is blowing like a bull.........the trajectory differnce between a 30/06 and 300 mag may be the least factor in a hit or miss.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I do have a problem with pistol carts as a rifle round.........44 mag in a rifle just doesnt seem to fit...
I agree with that statement to a certain extent. But I have lever actions in 357 mag, 44 mag, and 45 colt. I have them paired with single actions in the same caliber. They make a fun pair to take out after jack rabbits or pigs.
I think most bashing of certain rounds is typically caused from bad shots, wrong cal for job and or...........wrong bullet.

I hear people running down 270 win.......a 270 will kill deer sized game just as dead as anything else. I hear people running down the trajectory of 30/06..........I just keep my mouth shut......cause after a guy hauls is out of shape ass up a hill at 10k feet and is blowing like a bull.........the trajectory differnce between a 30/06 and 300 mag may be the least factor in a hit or miss.

You hit the nail on the head. I would also add that a distaste for a certain caliber can come from a bad experience or even something so simple as having heard it being put down by others. Especially if it happened while you were young and listening on the old veteran hunters swap stories.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote