THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Can the M1-A be converted to 260 remington, and at what cost with a match barrel?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can the M1-A be converted to 260 remington, and at what cost with a match barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can the M1-A be converted to 260 remington, and at what cost with a match barrel? I am thinking 140gr match bullets if the overall length would not be to long.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yes...

i think that IT&D did some work on 308 based rounds into these...

look in SGN, you'll see it...

figure 400 bucks for a douglas barrel, install...

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a neat idea for a recoiless rifle.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A neat idea if it is any more accurate than the 308 at long range. Lower recoil is nice, but not what I'm after.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
How about the other direction with a .338-08?

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
A neat idea if it is any more accurate than the 308 at long range. Lower recoil is nice, but not what I'm after.

What are you after exactly? You're gonna have to go quite a distance to beat the accuracy capability of the .308 in the M1A. If you're just looking to improve your accuracy, you might start with tuning the rifle and then the load... In the right hands, these things can be phenomenally accurate.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
The point is to have something different?

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45otto:
The point is to have something different?

Only if it were more accurate. So the point is more accuracy? Smiler

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
absolutely - have a friend who did it in 243 for running deer & it worked great. only thing is to watch the barrel diameter - at first he got his a bit big and it rubbed on the operating rod. I did one in an FN in 243 that works great too

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I recall that the US Navy Small Arms Technical Unit (SATU) in San Diego experimented with the M-1 rifle and cartridges based on teh .308 Win case (the Navy was shooting M-1 rilfes in .308 then, as well as the M-1a/M-14).

7 mm, 6.5 and 6 mm were all tried, and as I recall the results on the target did not improve materially over the 7.62X51.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote