New
Find
Notify
Tools

Valmet/Tikka/Fennwerk O/U rifles
 Login/Join

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Anybody have experience with these. Accuracy, etc. Looking at a 9.3x74r & 30-06 2 bbl set

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

<500 AHR>
posted
No personal experience, but the comments I have heard about these weapons have been typically somewhat less than favorable. They are cheap (as doubles go) have adjustable barrel regulation, which is what most of the negative comments I have heard are centered around.

In my opinion, unless you hate hammer guns, the Davide Pedersoli Kodiak MkIV in 9.3X74R is a much better altnerative and only a little more expensive. I own one that will put three from each barrel into 2.75" group at 100 yards. That may not sound good for a bolt gun, but that is damned impressive for a double (and a $2400.00 at that)!

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Valmet double rifle in 308. The quality is good, accuracy is easy (regulation, I mean) to set up. It had the habit of doubling on me when I first got it, but a slight change in technique fixed that. The trigger on mine is good. I think the rifle is a little on the heavy side for a 308, but if I could find a reasonable set of 9.3 barrels for it, i think the weight would be ideal. All in all, a good gun, and fun to hunt with. It gets quite a few looks from my whitetail hunting buddies. (especially the southpaws) - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
SAKO,now owns,Valmet/Tikka.The company,follows in the footsteps of Sako.Good quality.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 12 20 and 30-06 set I have no trouble with about 5 in groups at a 100 but that is with open sites and poor eyes I am sure with a scope she would shoot tighter. Heavy for a 06. Thought is was good idea when I brougt in wouldn't to it again instead of spending money on extra barrels I would just by differant guns in the calibers I wanted. You never have the right barrel on at the right time anyway. so the 06 and 20 gauge barrels just sit almost new in the box collecting dust.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Ola>
posted
No personal experience, but I've been reading an independent test of the gun produced by SAKO recently. Unfortunately I could not find the magasine with the article at this moment.

It is a sturdy practical gun. It is very precise due to the fact that the barres are not welded together, they only have contact at two points; around the chamber and near the front, where the screw for adjustment of the barrels are placed. Precision seem to be as good as an average bolt-action hunting rifle. You will never find such potential in a Davide Pedersoli, or any guns with the barrels welded together. The weapon system gives you a lot of possibilities to choose barrels for double shotgun, combi or double rifle, in different caliberes. The gun is quite heavy, which may be negative to some. In 9,3x74 R it may be perfect in my opinion.
To me it is importante to choose a carteridge with "Rand" in such guns, as the cases/carteridges are much easier to get out of the camber in a hunting situation. 9,3x74 R and 7x57 R are two god alternatives.

What's wrong with a "cheap" double-rifle sturdy/reliable delivering high presicion??

<500 AHR>
posted
Ola,

Nothing is wrong with a "cheap" double rifle. I own one of the "cheap" Davide Pedersoli's and it is a better shooter than my W.J. Jeffery!

I agree with your comments regarding the versatility of the adjustable regulation as opposed to the full length soldered rib. However, the few individuals that I have met that owned a Tikka 412 (or whatever they are desingated) complained about the adjustments coming loose and loosing their regulation, which is a major problem if you are hunting.

Acutally, I would go with the 9.3X74R and forget about a smaller rifle caliber. The only reason for smaller would be to increase the range to something like 300 or 400 yards. At those ranges you will need to adjsut your regulation to get any kind of accuracy and you compromise your closer (100 yard) accuracy.

Simply put a double is a close range weapon, say 200 yards max. Therefore, I cannot see a real reason to use anything but the superb 9.3X74R.

Todd E