Find
Notify
Tools

as you wish
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted
The action is a m-98 hybred. It's a long mag, Rigby/.505 class cartridges. It features controlled round feed, claw extraction,60 degree m-70 style ejection. reverse rotary bolt stop, Mauser style rib guide on the bolt. .750 bolt diameter, 3 postion safety, beefed up m-70 style trigger. 1.0x16 tpi ring dia of 1.450 for the Rigby. 1.062x16 for the .505 Gibbs. I just took the features of my favorite actions and combined them. It's a good solid platform for a DGR. I'd like to do a couple design changes to it for the 500 jeffery. After reading an aritcle on the 500 schuler I think it makes more sense than the .505, which is basically a cordite round and overpressured with modern powder. Looking for more comment on the 500 jeff vs the 505 gibbs.
The uncheckered rifle in claro is a Titanium 7x57, it's a good little deer set up, tight grouper, got a whitetail with it last Saturday, whoopie! The lathe set up is the slow way to make an hole thru an action billet, It takes about 30 minutes to go 9.5 inches. I have a gun drill I need get set up for that, should be able to go 1.2 inches per minute or more. I'm going to start at 1.0 per minute right through.
Timan

Posts: 1214 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Very very nice. What is the amount of weight difference between a the titanium and a standard Mauser action of the same size?

That 7x57 looks like a real swetie.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I am in awe... just excellent...

On the 505 vs the 500 jeffe
first, the jeffe rebated rim is a nightmare to get to feed correctly. once done, the round is amazing. so if we said "500 AHR" which is unrebated and longer neck, clears those issues. Myself, I think that the ahr brass, with a jeffe neck, would be the best of both... in that you don't have to have super custom dies, and only change the shellholder. for what it's worth, horneber brass has a larger rim than bertram.

the gibbs is enormous, and quite a bit more impressive to the eye, and the jeffe is the more efficient. You are correct, the english gibbs was designed around cordite.. the jeffe around "flake"

when the round were invented, and everyone could name or make their own actions, the gibbs SHOULD have been a .510, not a 505, as 1/2"bore had been around. Today, the .505 groove is what turns me off from the gibbs.

I'll be pestering you for drawings of your action.. and mag/trigger

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38611 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very nice work, and that is an understatement.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry that I am a little late to the party but I am assuming you are making these actions yourself?

If so - you are my new hero !

BEAUTIFUL work,

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I've worked in the firearms trade 17 years as a machinist/gunsmith/gunmaker. The work shown here is some of what I do. I do some commercial work for other small frims here in the USA and abroad. I call my business Satterlee Arms, that is my last name.
jefferso, I like the HDS brass too, more so than the BB.
Some day I'll go to the Dark continent. There are so many excellant rifle cartridge combos to take there 375,404jeff,416rigby,500jeff. Incidently I've converted 3 std mausers to 500 jefferys for one of my commercial customers. He says his clients are pleased, I paid special attention to the way they pick up the rounds, there is some remachining of the mag well there and.The feed ramp and a few other things It's three days work to get one up and going from a std action m-98. Sorry to get so wordy here I'm just a rifle freakin nut. Ever since about age 5 I saw my dad shoot his pre-64 .308, I've lived and breathed it since and drove everyone around me copletely mad with it.
Timan

Posts: 1214 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
22 a haas or two. Will come, been looking at ebay stuff.
Timan

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
corperation? That's possible. Sturgis SD is doing some good things for firearm makers. bending over backwards from what I hear.
Timan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Timan

Thanks for re-posting.
Very nice work.
More pictures welcome.
Do you do custom machining for customers?

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
You do great work! I identify with the non-checkered stock idea-I only do checkering once every two years, because I forgot how nerve wracking, tedious, and eye-straining the last job was. Much more satisfaction in seeing the metal curling off in the lathe. Besides sometimes I have one hand free for a Molsen standing at the lathe! I would need a Valium (maybe 2) before taking a checkering tool to that stunning stock on the 7x57.

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Looks great do you make a left handed actions. Put the drill in the tool post you can use the power feed and clear the chips easy.
John

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Yowza!

Very nice indeed.

Wish I had those skills!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lanny from NY:
Besides sometimes I have one hand free for a Molsen

beer
Ask Stu how many Molsen's were rescued by a free hand when he lived in upstate NY(Molsen country)

Nice work Stu, you know I'm a fan. I want to see some pics of that 22 your dad is working on. If you want to make many here drool post a pic of the 22 showing the outside of the shop. Not bad for a "pole" barn.

gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Timan my hat is off to you! Excellent artistry.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome work. I know that some of us with home shops are thinking man I wish I was that good. How did you do your raceways? And is it a full c ring? I'd love to see more pics of your work.

You have a PM.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Timan, absolutely beautiful work.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the nice compliments everyone. It's been a long road to this point, filled with lots of personal sacrifice and some very trying times. The titanium action eliminates a pound from the weight of the rifle right off the bat. The hybred 416/505 action is not a c-ring (for now), I do a remington c-bore on the barrel style breech, with an extractor cut. I cut the raceways with a shaper. I also have a similar setup for a mill the part moves instead of the tool, it works but it's slow and takes a bit of finesse it makes a nice lugway. The m-98 is total mauser c-ring, 3rd lug, guide rib on the bolt.
As for checkering? I've done about 10 stocks to date. I can do a good job. It takes me 3 days, the first day is think time and layout the rest is doing it. I can make better money in front of the lathe or mill with ease. Molsens in New York? for the free hand or both hands at once! What do get when you divide three single gunsmiths by two pickup loads of Molsen beer?
Timan

<allen day>
posted
Really, really impressive work. You have tremendous talent! Smiler

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
What lovely work!

Out of Titanium on manual machines ... Good Golly, my hat is off to you!

If I could do that on my manual mill and lathe out of any chrome moly steel I'd be as proud as punch! You have every right to be insufferable ;>Wink

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Timan check your PM's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Neat action.

I came across another action picture from the web:

http://www.neconos.com/details1.htm

Posts: 160 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My shop has 4 axis Hurco CNC. Someday I'd like to mill a 98isk action.

Tinman,
Did you make the bolt and attachments also?

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Rusty, Yea I made it all.