Find
Notify
Tools

LH CRF Project Action for 404 Based
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted
Just kicking around CRF action ideas for a 375/404 type wildcat or even a 375 RUM to run the 350gr bullets. I have been on a big bore hiatus for a while and revisiting options as a starting point and wanted to get some input from smiths that have done these. As a lefty it seems my options are as follows in increasing order of cost and running 350s at 3.6" COAL could be restrictive so 3.75" might prove beneficial. Africa could be on the list one day and I have a 458 Lott in the works now but thought the 375/404 would be a good backup/plains game rifle...assuming I needed to rationalize it somehow.

1. Open up a standard New Haven classic LH in 7 rem, 300 win, etc. (To my knowledge the Ultras were never chambered in LH) Add a Ultra windowed mag box, bolt stop, etc and find a smith that can make it feed, cross fingers, and hope for the best.

2. Find a decent M70 Safari length 375H&H/STW in LH and do same as above. Downside is these actions are less available/more expensive and feel like I'm still hoping for the best getting it to feed. Could be wrong.

3. CZ550 LH route. I know little about the CZs but know they have increased in popularity and a good smith can make them work well.

4. Bastardize a Dakota 76 or get lucky and find a safari action...feasible albeit more expensive and lower availability.

5. Full custom Granite Mtn/etc. Obviously higher price/time/etc but listing it for sake of discussion.
This may not materialize but just wanted to get feedback from those that may have done it in the past or any options I may be overlooking.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your objective is a 375 RUM or a wildcat 375/404, for a leftie in the US your best option for a CRF action would be a CZ550.

They come standard with a 3.8" mag box and are available in 375 H&H. If you're happy to use their barrel that would probably be your most cost effective option.

Check AHR's website for their various customising options - they specialize in upgrading CZ's.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
There is a left hand CZ 550 AHR in 375 H&H with Leupold scope on GunBroker right now. $3195 or best offer.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/778871182

Posts: 7518 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Look at the Montana Rifle Company standard long action. It comes in 375 H&H length already so there is a lot less cutting to do to make it fit longer cartridges.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LongDistanceOperator:
There is a left hand CZ 550 AHR in 375 H&H with Leupold scope on GunBroker right now. $3195 or best offer.

I saw that. Looks like a decent starting point.

Also forgot about MRC actions.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JMJ888:
quote:
Originally posted by LongDistanceOperator:

I saw that. Looks like a decent starting point.

Also forgot about MRC actions.

There's a LH CZ550 in the classifieds and asking a lot less.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage also made a sort of crf action in left hand ultra mag. I bought one for my son and he uses it in the factory 300 rum. His is the large shank. It is banked for the difficult times that hit lefties from time to time, so he could build a 375, or 404 or 338 edge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have gotten some excellent responses.
If your goal is to launch 350 grainers, I would get a .375H&H rifle and load Barnes 350 grain TSX bullets. If you want to hot rod it a bit, call barnes and ask about loads for the Reloader 26 gun powder. It seems to give impressive velocities for many. Or call the gun powder people direct for advise.

Off memory, I believe Woodleigh bullets make a heavy grain bullet for caliber.

Vol717 is an AR member who seems to always have LH Mauser Zastavas in .375H&H in stock and are usually listed on the gun auction sights.

MNR custom, also makes custom actions to your likings and is also an AR member. I believe are worth investigating.

Mayfair Engineering in England and others in Europe make them, they are in the GMA range.

I am not a gunsmith, but wonder if Ruger .300 WM can be made to work. It might be the cheapest option yet.

Whatever you think it’s going to cost, triple your estimate and you’ll be closer to your final figure.

There are some excellent gunsmiths on AR and they will lead you on the right path.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JFE:

There's a LH CZ550 in the classifieds and asking a lot less.

Looks like the exact same rifle. 2700 obo does sound better than 3195 obo.

Posts: 7518 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Look in this thread. Vol717 might still have some LH Zatava M70's in .375 left. Same Mauser action as the Interarms Mark X and Remington 798. I bought one from him in 375. Already opened up for the long rounds.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...7108194/m/7961062812

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Alternatively, you could select option #2, as the New Haven LH Model 70's are coming down in price. I recently saw one sell off Guns International for around $1400 chambered in 375 H&H. You could rechamber to 375 Wby and call it a day for minimal additional expense.

Those LH CZ's are massively overpriced. Irks me we have to pay more for something with the bolt handle on the other side.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jimmy --
you, of course, know a 375 rum or edge would be really darn close, so i won't talk anymore about that.

MRC LH -- i bet you could supply the reamer, gauges, and dummies, and get the whole rifle, to your spec, for a package price - that might be my first choice

second would be a LH cz550 -- this will be a physically larger rifle than a MRC/M70 - i bet your could find a complete LH cz550 375 for a reasonable price, and if you want more, either reamer it with a 375/404 or 375 weatherby - either could clean up the chamber -- either way, you have a complete rifle, fairly reasonable

or - a "remington" zastava LH action, and build from there -- or a LH m70, and build from there ..

lots of choices

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
Clayman I agree on the 375 M70 prices...for my purposes I am buying a project rifle for mostly an action...maybe a mag box and follower. The barrel will likely get scrapped and the stock won't fit my LOP without a serious amount of modification beyond spacers. Going the 375 route would likely not be worth the expense difference between a standard 7 mag/300 win/etc even factoring in gunsmith expense to open it.

Jeff it will likely be another 375 RUM just for grins. Maybe H&H...not sure yet.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I know you are an enthusiast who would like to get something special - but wouldn't a standard .375 magnum do as a plains-game/.458 back-up, whereby you could put the money saved towards your safari?

Converting rifles to different calibres may give more power but can also endanger feeding and extraction reliability - something even more important when dangerous game is involved. Bags get lost in transit, too, and a rifle that needs special fodder makes you vulnerable on another front as well.

Posts: 5020 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In other times, a commercial Mauser or even a pre 64 Mod 70 could be expected to feed and function right out of the box.

Wouldn't put money on some of these bean counter designed rifles doing the same

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
In other times, a commercial Mauser or even a pre 64 Mod 70 could be expected to feed and function right out of the box.

BS, Duane -- in 1960, if a rifle shot MOA out of the box, EVERYONE was floored, and the braggart was called a liar -- today, if a savage doesn't shoot MOA or better, it GOES BACK --

literally nothing feeds better than a new model 70 -- and pre-64 m70s are bespoke, not mass produced ...

a pre-64 MIGHT.. just MIGHT feed better than a new model70 .. though, today, if a m70 doesn't feed, it goes back and is handled NOW -- a pre-64, in general, WILL NOT shoot as well as a new one -- shooter expectations won't allow for 2.5 MOA from a bespoke action, etc etc etc etc ...

i am more shocked, today, when a fella tells me his brand new whizbang won't shoot 1.5moa or better than when new whizbang shoots better than MOA ...

but i still see these things as tools, not art

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):

BS, Duane -- in 1960, if a rifle shot MOA out of the box, EVERYONE was floored, and the braggart was called a liar -- today, if a savage doesn't shoot MOA or better, it GOES BACK --

literally nothing feeds better than a new model 70 -- and pre-64 m70s are bespoke, not mass produced ...

a pre-64 MIGHT.. just MIGHT feed better than a new model70 .. though, today, if a m70 doesn't feed, it goes back and is handled NOW -- a pre-64, in general, WILL NOT shoot as well as a new one -- shooter expectations won't allow for 2.5 MOA from a bespoke action, etc etc etc etc ...

i am more shocked, today, when a fella tells me his brand new whizbang won't shoot 1.5moa or better than when new whizbang shoots better than MOA ...

but i still see these things as tools, not art

I agree with you a bit Duane but In other times the commercial mausers and pre64s could feed as slick as they wanted although feeding and function are secondary to having to pull your head out of the way and lose sight of the target to cycle your right handed bolt because that's all the manufacturer ever decided to make. With that limitation I am at the mercy of my bean counter commercial options. Fortunately we have skilled tradesmen such as yourself devoted to cleaning up some of the ills of modern manufacturing.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
revised -- i meant model 700 - not m70

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
Well my project diverged from its original plan and morphed into two projects. While looking for a donor action I was able to find a screaming deal on a Super Express LH Classic M70 in 375 H&H with a 1.75-6x32 Leupold in great shape. Have an Echols Legend stock on order and have had a #5 contour Krieger looking for a home. Going to leave it in 375 H&H and if I feel like tinkering down the road I can always ream it to Ackley or 375 Weatherby. Will make a great platform for an elk/plains game type rifle with 235-270gr bullets an the occasional 300gr for fun.

For the other project I was able to get a great deal on the unscoped CZ 550 Magnum LH posted here in the classifieds. Had the majority of the AHR upgrades and after a quick call to Wayne it is heading to his shop for a rebarrel to 375 RUM and one of his fiberglass stocks. I loaded 4 375 RUM dummies at 3.75” OAL in the mag for grins and they all cycled flawlessly in it current 375 H&H configuration. I am sure once it comes back from Wayne it will be an absolute dream to shoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Midwest Guns in Missouri will sell you a 300 RUM magazine box, and follower for about $20.00. If you have a 375 H&H/7mm STW/416 Rem length action, the job would be pretty straight forward. If the gun is set up as a "standard" long action (7mm Rem Mag/300 Win Mag), you will also need some ejector work done, but it is much less complicated than going to the moon (with or without a flag).

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
Lawndart...Midwest has been out of the windowed ultra mag boxes for a while. Sunny Hill provides one with their Ultra Mag bottom metal but that’s the only one to my knowledge.