Notify
Tools

G.33/40 Custom Pics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Martini & Hagn

Don't they build one of the top single shot actions on the planet? OK tied for the top.

Yeah I have checked out both their site and references and would have no issue having them build something for me. My problem is champagne taste and a beer pocketbook ( not even high class beer more like Pabst Blue Ribbon ).

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of getting engraving done by one of the FEGA certified proffessionals.Also having the stock done by a reputable stock maker.Yes, I would like a very high quality stock blank.But, if this is going to cost too expensive I'll settle for somthing less.I am not doubting the skills of these guys,I may even take your advice.At the moment, I am trying to get as much info as I can on the subject.One thing I know I want on the rifle is an original Win.mod.70 action.That engraving in those pics on the FEGA website is just mindblowing.I would like the rifle to have a classic American style to reflect the moments I had hunting so far in my lifetime.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure Purdey(if that is what they are called) makes awesome rifles, but they look bizarre to me.I am a winter caribou hunter.I want a classic american rifle.No freaky things.I had father laughing at me for years cause I hunted with a rifle with double set triggers.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You would do yourself an enormous injustice by not considering The Hagn Shop for any best grade work. It would not matter what part of the globe I habitated, they would be one of a very few premium rifle makers that I would consider.
Ralfs TakeDown and Integral barrel Work is superb!
At this point no one else would get my money for that type of work.

I travel to the USA for ACGG show specifically to see their work. It cost me few $000 to do so, I have no regret, in the future I will visit their shop.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Who does their engraving?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I checked their site again and I think you guys are right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I was thinking of getting engraving done by one of the FEGA certified proffessionals.Also having the stock done by a reputable stock maker.Yes, I would like a very high quality stock blank.But, if this is going to cost too expensive I'll settle for somthing less.I am not doubting the skills of these guys,I may even take your advice.At the moment, I am trying to get as much info as I can on the subject.....

Hagn has his starting prices on the website, youll soon know if it will cost too much for you.
Have You worked out a budget? Sounds like this is your first custom and you are being overwhelmed with excitement and choice. It started for me like that 16 yrs ago,I still get excited, but my choices and patience are much more refined and developed now. I used to want a rifle finnished in six months, now Im dissapointed if it takes less than 3yrs. The fun seems to end all too soon! The difference is like between watching a stripper doing here thing in 15 minutes or being seduced by the woman you love for the rest of your life.

I had a guy some 10yrs ago who seemed to do good work/ethic more cheaply. when I pulled the job through dissatisfaction,He kept money for work he didnt do as well as some Blackburn stuff he could not "find" to return.
It was not worth the argument.In the big picture He lost more than I did. As far as being an expert, he was prepared to weld some bases to a 09 argentine for square bridging,but tried to convince me that reheatreat would not be necessary, The alarm bells began to ring!
My advice is spend the money to get it right.
Me personally, i would spend my money assuring impeccable wood & metal work with not overly fancy wood with ideal layout/ageing, well before the luxury of engraving. I require rigs to have integrity and pedigree starting from the core and working its way out. And what often seems plain to the eye, is satisfying to the the soul.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodjack,this will be my first custom rifle but I have had other custom goods in the passed and draw from those experiences.One thing I learned is to be patient and to have a clear vision of what I want.If it takes three years all for the better,as I have other expenses.I saw that rifle they have for 9k,and would like one with a nicer stock(both work and wood)and fully engraved.I spoke to a stock maker today and he gave a price just for the work that could near the price of that rifle.