New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chamber ring
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone measured a ringed chamber to see where the ring occurs on the case? Does the ring happen at the base of the seated bullet or at the case mouth assuming it was caused by an over powder wad. Dave

Posts: 269 | Location: South East Florida | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only ring that I have seen in a chamber was from a chip caught in a reamer flute.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I gather you are referring to a bulge. What caliber or gauge is it? A bulge forms at the point of a blockage or partial blockage of the bore or chamber. It can be caused by a single drop of rain, the presence of a spider web, a muzzle stuffed with mud, snow or an accumulation of oil or solvent.

And to add to Butchs' reply, rings formed in the brass can also be the ghostly image of a previous over sized chamber.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The caliber is 45-120 The ring, bulge or groove
is in the chamber. The rifle shot fine with no problems then after one round that did not seem
different the fired case sticks and has to be pushed out with a cleaning rod. I have cut the cases back almost a 1/4" and they now come out.
I beleive some thing had to happen in the chamber. If I can figure out how far in it is and how wide I might recamber to 450#2 NE

Posts: 269 | Location: South East Florida | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
I think most of us that have chambered barrels has had that problem at least once. I believe your case is straight or close to it. You could cut the 1/4" off the breech end of the barrel, Move your shoulder forward, and run the reamer back in. Setting the chamber back is what I call it.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave

Have you been shooting loads with filler that was not compressed??

The bulge will probably be in the area of the base of the bullet.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 NO2 Thanks I beleive that is what happened I made the mistake of leaving the loading bench in the middle of a loading. I am hoping the ring is back far enough to rechamber to 450NE #2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine was in a 9.3x62 and was at the base of the bullet. Due to the barrel profile I junked the barrel and put it down to experience Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never experienced it but I have read
that ringed chambers are common with large
blach powder cases, smokeless, and cream of wheat fillers. If the ring occured when firing
it wasn't the chamber.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote