New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR " Mascot" Rifle Idea.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If I were to have built a rifle, are there folk out their that would be prepaired to shoot/hunt with it, then post pictures of the results on AR?

Ideas:

- I would document the build of it over time on the forum.
- we would post pictures of the results of the hunts that it partakes in.
- We would move it around to different people in the dedicated group to have ago with it.

I am sure their is a dedicated trustworthy group that we could muster to do this.
I dont have so much time to do that much hunting myself, with different folk using it in different areas(anywhere in the world), it would be much more interesting.

Please Indicate your interest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodjack:
If I were to have built a rifle, are there folk out their that would be prepaired to shoot/hunt with it, then post pictures of the results on AR?

Ideas:

- we could document the build of it over time on the forum.
- we could post pictures of the results of the hunts that it partakes in.

Tell me your thoughts.

Why not just do that yourself and cut out the headaches of having to deal with a “partner?â€

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
It's a fun idea, but like most fun ideas the Government is going to take exception. I think an FFL transfer would be required in many cases, unless you can do a FTF hand-off.

I have thought of doing an AR build, utilizing craftsmen who post here. Maybe a 338-06, since I got the idea here. I'd post pics of the work in progress.

Rick, good to see you in Reno BTW.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
It's a fun idea, but like most fun ideas the Government is going to take exception. I think an FFL transfer would be required in many cases, unless you can do a FTF hand-off.

I have thought of doing an AR build, utilizing craftsmen who post here. Maybe a 338-06, since I got the idea here. I'd post pics of the work in progress.

Rick, good to see you in Reno BTW.

It was my pleasure Forest! Really enjoyed our discussions, and I heard from our mutual friend this morning. He‘s set to depart sometime in April so I can start my “worrying“ all over again! Damn, these kids are going to be the death of me yet. Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ForrestB,
Its interesting, I thought there would be more takers. Maybe it is the Redtape that makes people hesitant.
After reading the responces to your/ForrestB's RenoAcounting Matched Pair,saying how they would like to own,borrow,steal,lookafter them etc,I imagined that if a person threw a bestgrade squarebridge98 of the same quality, on the table for someone to use, they would jump at the chance. But, obviously not.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
woodjack,
most of us won't loan a rifle outside a VERY few people we know, face to face, for years.

Nearly no-one wants to share a high dollar gun, that you don't own, with 50 people...

Put one together with your local hunting club... let everyone hunt it, and then find another hunting club to pass it along it.

don't make it some high dollar thing... restock/barrel a model 70 in 338-06, nice piece of low end english/turkish, leupold scope, and let that dog hunt.

btw, if it got over $1000 bucks, there's no possible way you would reach concensis (sp) on how it is designedm ifyou ahd 50 people involved

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There already is an "AR" rifle. The AR15. No need to build another. jumping

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be very hesitant about loaning out a high dollar custom to anyone but my father. Not everyone takes the same care with firearms.

Case in point ... my father recently loaned out his Rem 742 in 30-06. He took very good care of it and it only had some light handling marks and a couple shallow scrathces. Well he loaned the rifle to a friends brother who was up visiting and needed to borrow a rifle. The guys brother did not have another rifle to act as a loaner and since he claimed the 742 was what he used back home my father deecided to help him out. Well after three days the rifle has been significantly damaged with deep gouges in both forearm and butt stock. The rifle was not cleaned after use either.

Once you loan a gun out you must be of the mind that what happens happens. Know I know my father will take special care with any of my weapons and if one comes back damaged I know it would be the result of an accidant or a fall. This guy just handed it back in the case and never said a word.

On a side note I am kind of already putting togather or having put togather two "AR" rifles. The actions were purchased from AR members, the metal work is being done by an AR member, the engraving is done by an AR member, and an AR member is doing the stock work. An I expect to be enjoying them for years to come.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
woodjack,
most of us won't loan a rifle outside a VERY few people we know, face to face, for years.

Nearly no-one wants to share a high dollar gun, that you don't own, with 50 people...

Put one together with your local hunting club... let everyone hunt it, and then find another hunting club to pass it along it.

don't make it some high dollar thing... restock/barrel a model 70 in 338-06, nice piece of low end english/turkish, leupold scope, and let that dog hunt.

btw, if it got over $1000 bucks, there's no possible way you would reach concensis (sp) on how it is designedm ifyou ahd 50 people involved

jeffe

Jeffe is right about loaning rifles to folks that you have not met face to face(and even then, who knows). Believe me, I would LOVE to take an AR mascot for a spin and write about it. The FFL thing might be a pain too. Then again, what happens if somebody blows up the rifle? Whos gonna make the ammo? If we could get that all figured out, I would be all ears.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
They did something along these lines over on 24hourcampfire. I read about it in one of the gun mags. But I am not sure how they determined what to build and such. But from what i read it appears to be making the rounds of the forum.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffosso,
Yes,Doing it through say some kind of big game rifle club seems probably the best idea. I would have folk that already have established interest/ownership in such rigs,and income levels where they (like me)are not too concerned about sharing a $10k rifle or a scratch here or there. I am learning that in some circumstances,It is best to stick with ones own kind, simply cause you have like attitudes, in the way that, they need no convincing to enjoy life.
I understand that some folk do feel nervous handling what seems like someone elses "expensive" rig, but if a person can not enjoy it cause of the "price" mindset, then they should put it down and walk away,or change their attitude.
When I was at The ACGG Reno last year, you would be surprised how "affraid" some people were to come close to the table Of Ralf Martini/Hagn Table. He had to convince people that it was OK to pick up the rifles, and they were still hesitant.I zoomed in like a bee to honey, He insisted that I play with them all I like,That made him happy. The hesitant ones made him frustrated. These are fine crafts men but they are very practicle commonsense minded as well. It is art but it is still a tool that requires use to get the most out of it, is that not why we go to the trouble of a custom, that it is much more efficient/refined/pleasureable to get the/a job done?
I have found that it is the narrowmindedness of people that make them miss out cause they seperate themselves from oportunity instead of embracing it. If someone offers abestgrademauser for use and they are affraid to accept it, then it more because they dont trust themselves,rather than someone else. Another point is they place to high a "value" in the gun itself, rather than the more important value of enjoying it.

And yes I do agree one needs to be selective,I imagined that I would find some of that selective number here somewhere.
I dont totally agree that one needs to know someone for years. when In LA last year comming from Reno, I was trying to get a flight to another part of the US, I wasnt sure to go or not. The Airport employee noticed my indecision and we got talking. The person said that If your not sure if your ready to leave town yet, your welcome to stay at our home. By next morning I was given the keys to a car and the house and stayed 2wks. They now have the same deal from me and moreif they ever need it, but much more than that we have trust and friendship. The deal is not a big issue of money.
So many people want,but do not initiate giving, for that they will be forever poor..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I have found that it is the narrowmindedness of people that make them miss out cause they seperate themselves from oportunity."

Ain't that the truth!!!

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Ok Woodjack, I'll be the first to ante up. You build the rifle, caliber of your choice, I'll pay the FFL transfer fees and go hunting with it.

Heck, I'll even hunt with it if it's a $10K gun.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodjack:
Jeffosso,
...I understand that some folk do feel nervous handling what seems like someone elses "expensive" rig, but if a person can not enjoy it cause of the "price" mindset, then they should put it down and walk away,or change their attitude.
When I was at The ACGG Reno last year, you would be surprised how "affffraid" some people were to come close to the table Of Ralf Martini/Hagn Table. He had to convince people that it was OK to pick up the rifles, and they were still hesitant.I zoomed in like a bee to honey, He insisted that I play with them all I like,That made him happy. ...

I have found that it is the narrowmindedness of people that make them miss out cause they seperate themselves from oportunity instead of embracing it. If someone offers a best grade mauser for use and they are affraid (sigh) to accept it, then it more because they dont trust themselves,rather than someone else. ...
So many people want,but do not initiate giving, for that they will be forever poor..

(okay, i've rewritten this reply a couple times)
Please don't preach AT me with expecting a return sermon..

How about, let's start with, R E S P E C T ... What you are seeing should be considered respect and respectful actions.

then '

That you state you can afford this, (one might be surprised that few are impressed with money...]and fewer still that can stand to pee) and intimate that you don't care if it is dented or scratched tells me some interesting things that you may not have meant to say

You do understand, this aint about money, right?

PS
I have found that it is the narrowmindedness of people that make them miss out cause they seperate themselves from oportunity instead of embracing it.

Which sounds like how PT Barnum would have said his famous line, in 21st century marketing speek

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffosso,

I think much of what is ment to be expressed on this forum is lost through incorrect expression or interpretation. However we battle on regardless.

Guns are inanimate objects no matter how much emotional or monetary value one might choose to place on them.
Be it Factory rem700 or H&H Royal Double,they are working tools to me. Customs just make it more pleasurable,reliable,comfortable etc. to get the job done.The fact that they are a sight Eeker is a bonus, that I appreciate.
Scratches and dents I mention,dont effect me to much at all, cause they are punches you have to roll with, that come with many memorable moments in the field of hunting with afine gun, avery small price to pay indeed. ( Tell me Jeff, what are "the interesting things I have told you that I didnt mean to say"?) If one is more concerned about bringing a rifle home in pristine condition, causing them not to enjoy the hunt, or adversly affect the result of the hunt,then they have made their choices. Sensibly,you either buy a cheaper rifle that your phycologically comfortable with, or change ones attitude. I have had folk offer me their premium rigs to hunt with without concern of what condition will return them in, knowing that things can happen. If you live in fear your already dead. They were more concerned with if I enjoyed using it, and "did I score an animal?"
Respect,well depends how you interpret that. If a gunbuilder bring his weapons to a ACGG show to drum up business some do so for you to fondle them, discuss them, to see whether you really like need or want one. Actually partaking shows more effective respect than standing back, well in my eyes anyway.
Porches are designed to be driven/ perform,Beautiful women held, guns no different.
Where is the football game, (and it always a game) if no-one wants to touch the ball. Rifles are not sacred or God that one must bow down to,rather they are to be embraced and fully utilised.
hands on approach works for me better than pipe dreaming.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
OK. Send Jeffe $600 and I'll match it for the construction of the rifle. As soon as Jeffe gets your $600, I'll kick in mine. My $600 will be in the form of an FN already barreled in 458 AR.

When your $600 arrives at Jeffe's we'll begin the hunt. First opportunity is at a minor AR big bore hunt happening on Feb 11 and 12 with a couple or three posters in South Texas.

Oh BTW, did I mention I had a stock ready to go? That's extra but I'll make it a free loaner for the occasion as soon as the $600 eagle lands.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well...we kinda already have that rifle built...sorta as JEFFE and a bunch of his bubba buddies contibuted to building my 376 steyr.

Now do I want to loan it everywhere....ah...dunno...anybody in the STC can certainly hunt it...

By the way have we scheduled STC III yet

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Woodjack,
I had posted a long reply...but as it appears you are a selective reader, I'll be brief

this is about respect and trust.

quote:

Fear, timidity, pipe dreaming, narrown mindedness,low intellegence, backwardsness and poverty ...
all these things inferred or stated toward those that aren't interested in partnering with you...... No, I don't think your points have been missed due to the medium, though these may not be what you intended to put over.

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't like to loan a rifle for the most part, don't like hunting with people that borrow rifles, not sure I like the idea of investing in a rifle to be borrowed a lot.

I'll have to pass on this deal Smiler

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gringo Cazador:
I don't like to loan a rifle...

I'm with ya, but I do appreciate the neccessity of having a few "loaners" around allows me to justify owning several rifles in the same calibers. Just in case all my backward cousins and narrow minded brothers-in-law show up at the same time to do a little hog hunting.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are people out there that complain about the price of fine guns eg:$10K bolt rifle,(something that you might keep and enjoy for 20yrs?)as being expensive. Yet they do not hesitate to smoke drink,gamble, womanise,go into hock to have the new pick-up.
There are those who genuinely cannot afford such a priced rig,that I understand, and I dont believe I have denegrated those people.qute the oposite really, I was pointing out that if they make the effort to get involved with an offer like mine,they can enjoy something they appreciate without having to be overly$$$wealthy themselves,yet lead a rich experience life.
I like flying aircraft,some of my friends Jumbos,yet we dont have the Millions to buy them.So we fly someone elses.And If I didnt accept that offer then yes I would be ignorant cause I would be missing out.Yet I dont miss out cause i dont have the attitude that i need to own everything I like to be able enjoy it. Yes flying or hunting is a job,anything that takes effort is a job and the reward can be financial or other.
Wealth is a relative thing. I never accused anyone of being financially poor or to be suffering from poverty,thats just how some chose to percieve it. all I stated was that I can afford some things,and would someone else like to enjoy them as well. Doesnt sound that offensive to me, but maybe just too generous for some people to comprehend or come to terms with.
Nor Do I remember asking anyone for money to build the rig. I post the idea to guage a responce if small dedicated number could be achieved and come to some aggrement.Its no drama or loss to me if that does not happen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodjack........its not the womanising that gets me.......its the marry/divoce part thats the problem Smiler

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote