THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Can someone tell me how you're supposed to mount a scope in these rings?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can someone tell me how you're supposed to mount a scope in these rings?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SShooterZ
posted
I have a set like this that came with my Sako. It already had a Weaver mounted in them but I can't for the life of me figure out how you could replace the scope without removing the eyepiece and/or bell. Confused

They look just like this:

*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#
I'll never be able to give back to this forum all that I've learned from it. But I do want to thank those of you that have helped me out over the years.

Posts: 167 | Location: McHenry, IL | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They're similar to old style Weavers, the scope to be used has a removable ocular bell and the objective is tube diameter.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well...I am guessing they are designed for a scope with no objective bell; i.e., staright tube and also a removable eye piece

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
front rings out of 2 different sets, for no front bell scopes? the dovetails are gross different widths, and i think you go 2 front rings

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The ring on the right has the narrower jaws(and recoil tab) that fits the sako rear bridge.

One of Us
Picture of SShooterZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MetricMauser:
The ring on the right has the narrower jaws(and recoil tab) that fits the sako rear bridge.

Yep, that's exactly right.

What's weird is I have a set of these on a Weaver scope that looking at it, the only possible way to get these rings on would be to remove the eyepiece AND the elevation/windage knobs and plate and then mount it.

Really weird...

Maybe I could get some pics later.

I'll never be able to give back to this forum all that I've learned from it. But I do want to thank those of you that have helped me out over the years.

Posts: 167 | Location: McHenry, IL | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the old days, (when your rings were made,)most riflescopes were not purged with an inert gas. So removing the objective lense to mount the scope was not the mistake it would be with a modern scope.
Should you insist on using those rings, your best plan would be to put the rings on the (modern) scope, then send it to a scope repair company for purging. Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
What you do is using a high quality pipe cutter, carefully cut the scope into sections, place the rings on the scope and then TIG weld the tube back together. Grind the weld smooth and treat area with cold blue. Now, some folks just cut the tube where the rings will line up when scope is mounted on rifle, then use the rings to clamp the scope tube together, but I don't recommend that shortcut.

Viola!

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
What you do is using a high quality pipe cutter, carefully cut the scope into sections, place the rings on the scope and then TIG weld the tube back together. Grind the weld smooth and treat area with cold blue. Now, some folks just cut the tube where the rings will line up when scope is mounted on rifle, then use the rings to clamp the scope tube together, but I don't recommend that shortcut.

Viola!

dancing Wink

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SShooterZ
posted Hide Post
Any suggestions for replacement rings or ring/base combos?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SS, I believe Leupold has an answer for you. At least I hope so. I have to mount a scope on a L-61 soon. Good Luck....

Posts: 65 | Location: oregon | Registered: 09 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SShooterZ:
Any suggestions for replacement rings or ring/base combos?

I have a set of original Sako rings that would fit your rifle. They are the 4 screw ones.

Email me if you are interested.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
Seems like I vaguely remember some scope rings that you had to bend open to get them on the scope. Like 30 years ago. Probably useable only once.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
The old ono-piece Buehler rings were bent open to put on the scope. How hard are these rings?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SShooterZ
posted Hide Post
They're pretty damn solid. Almost so stiff that it's hard to move them along the scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The early Weaver K series scopes could be used with those mounts. First, you unscrew the rear housing, then remove the turret holding the windage and elevation adjustments. Look at that turret and you should see a couple of screws. Those will remove the turret and unscrewing the real lens unit will allow you to remove that scope. As for what to replace it with, I have a frickin' idea. That scope is probably old enough that the reticle will not stay centered.
I have one of those early K-4s that comes apart in the method I described. About the only good thing I could say about it is the click adjustments worked quite well, Four clicks would move the POI one inch. If the front lens hadn't opalized on me, I'd probably still use it with something like Leupold style mount.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Opti-locks on almost all of my Sako's. They are very strong, won't scratch your scope and won't slip like Leupold rings will on the harder kickers......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are the ones that Sako rifle probably came with:

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your rings are a set of very old but genuine Sako factory rings. As others have said, they were intended for scopes with removable occulars (and/or no objective bell). Some similar rings will bend open wide enough to snap over the scope tube, but I doubt that these will allow that (and both ring and scope remain functional). However, it wouldn't hurt much to try using a cheap throw-away scope as a guinea pig.

I have a couple of dozen Sakos with various mounts, including factory Sakos (identical to yours but with a two-piece ring), Redfield, Millett, and Leupold. I by far prefer the Leupold Ringmount. It is simple, lightweight, and straight-forward in design. Some people dis them as appearing "fragile", however I have had absolutely no trouble with them on any caliber, and even have them on a .338 and very light .375 H&H. Like any mount, they simply need to be properly installed.

The factory rings that Jim Kobe is offering you are also excellent mounts, although a bit heavier than the Leupolds. Their one drawback is that the recoil lug on the rear ring forces that ring to be positioned and the very rear of the dovetail. Because the power ring on some variable scopes takes up a lot of fore-aft room, this can force the scope to be mounted too far rearward for some shooters, reducing eye relief an undesirable amount. If you use these rings, most fixed power scopes can be mounted appropriately. Alternatively, if you have a variable with the problem I described, you can grind off the recoil lug and place the ring further forward. Some people go into rigors over this suggestion, but the tapered design of the Sako dovetail negates the need for the "belt and suspenders" approach. The rings will seat and never move, with or without the little recoil lug. Again, just torque the screws down properly and let nature take its course.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote