New
Find
Notify
Tools

Putting Recoil Pad On MPI Stock--
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got to put pad on a MPI with the foam fill in the butt.

How do I attach a butt pad. The butt is level full of foam.

I got the foam in the barrel channel shaped and forearm

shaped for the heavy 585H barrel Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've done it two ways. One make a could screw in pins and turn them into the base from the rear the drill holes from them in the foam. Epoxy the pad on a sand to fit. Or I have installed a couple dowels in the epoxy then attached the pad with screws into the dowels.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The foam won't hold regular screws, right, not even real long ones.

So should I epoxy in wood pieces to driil screw holes in?

Can epoxy hold the dowels down into the foam ok?

How long of dowels.

Another here suggested than I tap the end of big diameter course thread

lag screws, for the screws that hold pad on, and drill and screw

them, the lags, into the foam lined up with pad screw spacing. I need weight

and that would add some. Would the foam hold them.Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

one of us
posted Hide Post
In a high tech specialties stock I once just cleaned out the foam an inch deep and epoxied a fitted wood plate in the hole, then mounted as normal. Since that time, I just degrease well and epoxy the pad directly on the end...works well.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1174 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The lag screw is basically what I was talking about as my first option. You aren't chinning yourself. You just need it to hold the pad. Don't rely only on the chemical bond. Enlarge the hole at the bottom to give you a physical bod as well. Dowels don't have to be that deep.

Or as matt said remove the foam and epoxy in a piece of wood.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I have used contact cement but I prefer scooping out about 1/2" of foam and epoxy in a piece of wood I shape to fit the space closely.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Removing some foam and epoxying in a fitted piece
of wood sounds easiest. I got a lot of old smaller butt stock
pieces, cut section out of one to go inside the MPI butt which is
very large. Would take minimum of shaping.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
In a high tech specialties stock I once just cleaned out the foam an inch deep and epoxied a fitted wood plate in the hole, then mounted as normal. Since that time, I just degrease well and epoxy the pad directly on the end...works well.

+1

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you have a suitable clamp and glue that sucker on! Sometimes I shape it before I glue it....sometimes after....depends on how I feel.

Posts: 322 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 June 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i THINK you really don't want to leave ANY wood "proud" of the stock ... the pad would then pound the wood, with all the recoil on the glue/epoxy, rather than bearing on the stock ..

Therefore, when I do this, I sink the wood about 1/16 into the stock... the wood is there to hold the pad in place, not to take a direct pounding .. i know it can't be eliminated, but the stock should be the primary bearing surface between stock and pad,

besides, it will look better

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Hey I'm getting lazy in my old age. Next one I'm going to try with only epoxy. No pins.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Ive glued hundreds of them directly to the foam. I do a fresh squaring grind with a 100 wt belt on both the stock and the pad base to remove any oil and rough up the surface. Then I clamp them solidly overnight with Devcon 5 minute epoxy or US Composites 635. They never come off. With the hollow stocks I glue in a block of wood and screw the pad to that.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
In a similar vein, anyone ever added length to an HS stock? Have one that is 13 1/4 and would like to add 1/2 inch. Not sure how that works...

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
In a similar vein, anyone ever added length to an HS stock? Have one that is 13 1/4 and would like to add 1/2 inch. Not sure how that works...

Glue on some spacers and a pad, grind it down, mask off the pad and repaint the stock and spacers. Or mask the stock and lightly sand blast the pad and spacers after fitting.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got it done, epoxied in in piece of old wood stock section,

about 1.75" long, and set it 1/16" below the stock edge;

I hollowed out little exrea below insert

and added little lead for needed weight.

and put on a real big pad .Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Hey I'm getting lazy in my old age. Next one I'm going to try with only epoxy. No pins.

This has worked for me on multiple synthetic stocks. I couldn't separate the pad from the stock if I tried and I use a minimum of epoxy being weight sensitive on some projects. Hollow stocks I fill with foam in a spray can then epoxy the pad in place.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yep that is me old "belt and suspenders". Wink

Too many years of thinking if a 1/4 bolt will work a 5/16 would be better. rotflmo

Heck I have a couple wood stocks with the pad epoxied on with pins. Might need to use them as a pry bar. Big Grin coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Acraglas gel on my High Tech (foam filled) I finished for my M77 Whelen. Nothing special done to the stock. This was 14 years ago and zero problems.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back when I messed with fiberglas stocks the stock mfr recommended that the foam be removed along the inside of the glass shell at the butt to form a groove 1/4" wide and 1/4"-3/8" deep. Mix up enough epoxy gel to fill the groove and cover the foam, clamp the pad to it overnight and grind.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote