Find
Notify
Tools

Wood scraper
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
I have an Interarms/Daly/Rem mini Muaser stock with a High Gloss finish. The gloss has flaked off in a few spots. Looks like it would be better to scrap it than chemical strip it. I can scrap off the impressed checkering too while I'm at it.

Any thoughts on scraping off finish?

Posts: 6391 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sure; anything will work; I have used a big knife before; being able to grasp both ends is good.

Posts: 17111 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a good choice as methylene chloride has been banned again and there is really nothing to easily strip that finish. A really good scraper needs to have a little flex in it for curves and such. I find a cheap putty knife blade works well. First detach it from it's handle. Then secure it in a vise and draw file a 5-15 degree edge on it. Lastly, roll the wire edge with a round hard chrome or vanadium screwdriver shank.

quote:
Originally posted by richj:
I have an Interarms/Daly/Rem mini Muaser stock with a High Gloss finish. The gloss has flaked off in a few spots. Looks like it would be better to scrap it than chemical strip it. I can scrap off the impressed checkering too while I'm at it.

Any thoughts on scraping off finish?

Posts: 3676 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A blade from a power planner works really good especially if trying to scrape a substantial amount such as checkering.

I worked making solid fuel rocket motors, we lived in methylene chloride, works well but is nasty stuff.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use furniture varnish/finish remover. Not the eco friendly type. The I remove the mess with a scraper or coarse steel wood. High pressure water spray will blast much of the finish remover and finish off too.
Your scraper ideas sound good too.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3338 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pieces of broken glass work real well. Use with caution or you might get cut.

Posts: 77 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 08 September 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
no way I'm making scrapers. Been using Bahco handle and bits for inletting. handle is too fat for some work.

Posts: 6391 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a piece of flat steel stock, 12 inches long, 1/8 inch thick and two inches wide. It has very sharp corners/edges. Use it in a pulling motion and vary the pulling angle for best results.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always use a knife blade. Nothing fancy, just a sharp one.
I don't care for chemical strip solutions. Messy and after cleanup is a pain.

There's no wondering if the scraper will remove a certain type of space age finish. It'll cut all of them off and quickly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the chemical stripper is terrible stuff, for sure.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3338 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Screw making them, I found this selection for only $19.99. I'm gonna order it right now.

https://www.rockler.com/cabine...HkgDgdRoCc-cQAvD_BwE

Posts: 3676 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I was going to say “look for some cabinet scraper sets”...you found them...