New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light metal work on a 1917
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got a 1917 that needs some work done to it and was curious roughly what it would cost.

I need the scope base screws filled in on the rear and redrilled and tapped (not quite center), bolt body jeweled up and a straight bolt handle put on.

Thanks
Joel

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
For that work using a Talley handle, I'd charge about $175 plus shipping.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
and a straight bolt handle put on

CRYBABY

Why do so many people want to ruin a good efield, with a straqight bolt handel and a M70 satey. bewildered

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do so many people want to ruin a good efield, with a straqight bolt handel and a M70 satey.

Because if you don't, they're still butt-ugly jumping

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Masterifleman:
quote:
Why do so many people want to ruin a good efield, with a straqight bolt handel and a M70 satey.

...so then, they "must" look like every other bolt gun. They lose the "charecter" when the handels and safties get changed.

No surprise to those who know me, I like 'em.

Top 458 Lott, bottom 375 H&H. (both on Model 30Ss.

I'm glad no one will get confused and think they are some Mauser or M-70.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easy guys. All of my past enfield projects have been traditional, just going for something different this time.

'sides mausers are my favorite.

Heres my current 1917 project that is still in the works (416rem). I recently got rid of the 1 piece base but you get the drift.

Not sure what I'm gonna do with this action but I want to get some of the metal work out of the way.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
quote:
Originally posted by Masterifleman:
quote:

...so then, they "must" look like every other bolt gun. They lose the "charecter" when the handels and safties get changed.

No surprise to those who know me, I like 'em.

Top 458 Lott, bottom 375 H&H. (both on Model 30Ss.

I'm glad no one will get confused and think they are some Mauser or M-70.

Keith

Keith,
That's a great looking pair of Enfields. I like the original look too. I have one still in original military configuration but can't make myself chop it up because the originals are getting more scarce. Anyway, very nice rifles Sir.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Well, one practical reason to straighten their bolt handles is that if the shooter has large hands and the rifle is chambered in a heavy-recoiling caliber, that bent bolt handle can smack the hell out of the shooters hand. One of my customers has a Remington 30 Express in .450 Ackley and he nearly broke his thumb shooting it, but he has exceptionally large hands.

John Farner

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
John,
sorry man, but i disagree... FEW people either have larger hands than me or shoot bigger guns... straight bolt handles put the bolt in the web of your thumb... Rob's CZ based 585nyati nearly tore my hand off...

why? I didn't respect the gun, and if a guy is DUMB enough to hold his thumb along side a boomer, he's going to get hit...

My 500 jeffe and 500ARs are on enfields.. and yep, i changed them to straight bolts, but kept the safety, because i LIKE the LOOK better...

oh, yeah, I, like most big pawed apes, get hit but the bow MANY more times than the bolt handle

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

I'm OK with everything you said, except, how can you disagree with something I know to be fact: The fellows thumb got hit hard every time he fired the rifle.

I'm in no position to tell him, or you, how you should hold your rifle--we're all different. This fellow owns over 250 rifles in nearly that many calibers so he's not unfamiliar with shooting. Changing the bolt handle for him solved this problem.

John Farner

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
John,
we can always disagree, and remain friends... Smiler

476AR,

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
No worries. It boils down simply to satisfying the customer.

John Farner

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Yep - we totally agree

476AR,