Find
Notify
Tools

Reducing bullet diameter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
How far can you reduce bullet diameter? A subsonic 50-caliber to take advantage of high BC bullet intrigues me, but it would be so much easier to use a .458 case such as a 45-70 or 458 Win mag that is common and cheap.

Is it possible to take a .510 bullet to .458? Is reducing diameter only feasible with lead bullets, or will it not harm the jacket? You could end up with a .458 750 grain Amax with a BC well over 1!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lead only.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
NO, none of them, by anwy means.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Could you mold real high BC bullets? Seems like cast bullets are always pretty blunt...is there a reason? You could do a 1000 grain .458 or something and have a good "458 Whisper" with plenty of thump.

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
Could you mold real high BC bullets? Seems like cast bullets are always pretty blunt...is there a reason? You could do a 1000 grain .458 or something and have a good "458 Whisper" with plenty of thump.

Kid, do you really have the $$$, for these experaments??

Yes, you can have a custom mould maker make about thing you want.

Who will build the .458 fast twist barrel, so that you could hit what you aim at with the above mentioned 1000gr bulletrs?

Can you (personally) even legaly buy a suppressor? You did say it was to be a "Whisper".

Whar "needs" to be hit with a 1000gr .458. and quitely?

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler

Look at J D Jones' 458 Whisper. No reason to re-invent the wheel.

A 1000 grain 458 bullet would be impractical and, as Keith said, where would you get a barrel with a twist fast enough to stabilize it?

Jacketed bullets can be swaged down easily. But not .050" without some pretty husky dies and press. And the jackets would probably loosen causing terrible accuracy. To do the job right you'd need to swage them down below 458 and then back up to the correct size. Sorta like swaging a new bullet which is actually what you'd be doing. Might as well get a set of swaging dies made and start from scratch.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
How old do you have to be do buy a suppressor? 18? 21?

As of now, no I can't afford such experiments but someday. Don't most barrel makers charge a small fee for custom fast twists?

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Pac-Nor does a 1-8" barrel that would stabilize bullets up to 2.75 inches long at 1000 fps...Amax is 2.5 inches long for comparison.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you can only reduce about .005 and not "destroy" the bullet.

the longest bullet a 1:9 .458 would stablize is about 3.5 long.. so probably a 650gr shaped like a BMG bullet

you have to be 21 to get the tax stamp, just like EVERYTHING ELSE, except rifles and shotguns.

its expensive to forge your own way

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BobT
posted Hide Post
Tyler,
If Big Mo is Missouri you can't legally own a suppressor at all, sorry! It does me good to see young folks with big dreams though, I had them too.

Bob

It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Posts: 48 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 500 gr lead bullets in my .458. And, if i want quiet I put in less powder, With lubricated lead bullets, and heavy enough bullets, and a long enough barrel you can go silent without a silencer. Your velocity is down around 500-600 fps. But, the British handgun load in WWII was a 200 gr bullet at about that speed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
James Calhoon bought hundreds of thousands of Nosler 20 cal bullets and sized them down to 19 cal.

He makes dies from machinable carbide.

Just because Jim can do it, doesn't mean I can.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
How far can you reduce bullet diameter? A subsonic 50-caliber to take advantage of high BC bullet intrigues me, but it would be so much easier to use a .458 case such as a 45-70 or 458 Win mag that is common and cheap.

Is it possible to take a .510 bullet to .458? Is reducing diameter only feasible with lead bullets, or will it not harm the jacket? You could end up with a .458 750 grain Amax with a BC well over 1!

Tyler,
You might talk to Mcfez about turning some 458 needles. Just squeezing the 50 cals down takes a lot of tooling. Turning long pointy bullets out of bar stock is pretty easy.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler - we already make .458" x 800 grain solids. They're 3.5" long have a BC of 2.75 or so (ask me what velocity) and cost $20 each ...how many do you think you'll be needing ...?? Wink

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
2.75?! Are you serious?!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure! You just need the rifle that'll make em go that fast... Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote