New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kurtz Mauser, good for 7x57?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the limit to the length of cartridge that one can fit in a Kurtz?
If we can fit 375h&h,416Rigby in a std 98 that was originally designed for the 7mmMauser,what is possible with the Kurtz? Would a long throated 7x57 for 160,175gn pills fit?
What is the (magzine box)action length difference between a Kurtz,Std 98,and Magnum?

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I am not sure of the magazine box length, but the Mauser company used 51mm and 54mm cartridge cases in them. Ruger & Winchester both use standard length actions for the 7X57.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Kurtz are pretty rare birds. If it's even possible to modify it to hold the round, it would be highly unadvisable. One thing you've got to keep in mind is you get a little aftermarket support with the bigger cartridges in the standard M98.

I'd find a nice little Mexican 98 and use that. They're a little shorter than a regular M98. They're plentyful enough, you won't have to give an arm and a leg for one and some serious collecter isn't going to call you a butcher roflmao They were made especially for the 7X57. Hard to go wrong with purpose built.

Terry

Picture time, Here's clean little Mexican I'm about have done in a 7X57.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the photos. thumb
I did see a H&W kurtz action (new manufacture)at SCI Reno.I was not expecting to find an old one,and at the price they would charge for it, a person would be better off with a new one,and it would be made in high quality chromemolly,square bridges ,etc
The H&W was chambered in a WSM cartridge,but I dont know what length box they had. Maybe it was only to suit the factory round length(2.8")I am unsure. Too short for what I have in mind.I thought it smarter/quicker to ask the question on this forum first,H&W dont have an email.
Also,why do you say it is highly unadvisable to modify a kurtz??
But like I said,if we can turn a std 98 into a 416 Rigby(2.90" case length), can we not do something similar with a Kurtz,by putting a longer round than what it was originally designed for?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Terry,
man, that is a great looking 36.

Woodjack,
I reckon you could do all that, but every 98 in the world would hold the 7x57 and there's at least 3 (if not 4 more) makers of NEW 98's that will do the 7x57 for under $400 each, and there's no action gunsmithing ($$$$$)

You could always get the kurtz, in 7wsm, and load it down.

to me, though, a kurtz means 250 savage

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Waffenfabrik Hein also makes new Kurtz-type actions, and if I'm not mistaken so does Granite Mountain.

Terry, that is a great looking Mex, did you do the polishing? Blackburn bottom metal? IMO the Mexican Mauser is the best 98 Mauser for the 7x57. Also the 6.5, 250, 308, etc. I have two squirreled away.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Yea, It's got Blackburn bottom metal. I did the polishing. Why, I don't know. It's on it's way to Mark Stratton for a complete surface grind. All the shinny metal will be on Marks shop floor before long Big Grin

Actually it's a 1910 and not a 1936. I bought the cocking piece separate from the action. I think it's the best of both worlds, You get the cool cocking piece, but you also get a thumb cut that doesn't protrude below the stock line.

Hey Woodjack, How much was one of these Kurtz WSM Mausers? Sounds neat!

Terry

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Yea, It's got Blackburn bottom metal. I did the polishing. Why, I don't know. It's on it's way to Mark Stratton for a complete surface grind. All the shinny metal will be on Marks shop floor before long Big Grin

Actually it's a 1910 and not a 1936. I bought the cocking piece separate from the action. I think it's the best of both worlds, You get the cool cocking piece, but you also get a thumb cut that doesn't protrude below the stock line.

Hey Woodjack, How much was one of these Kurtz WSM Mausers? Sounds neat!
Terry

Beautiful little action! Nice polishing job!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
TC1: I think it's the best of both worlds, You get the cool cocking piece, but you also get a thumb cut that doesn't protrude below the stock line.

You also don't get the ugly oval gas port on the left side of the receiver.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll look up the specs later, but a Kurtz action is too short for a 7x57. It was meant for the 8x51, .250 Savage or the 8.15x46.

The Intermediate action, like the Mexican and the 93, was meant for the 7x57.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the 8,15x46R (were repeaters ever chambered for it?), but the other cartridge of the Kurzsystem is the 6,5x54 Mauser.

Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carcano91 wins the prize for correct spelling! (The German word "kurz" does not contain a "T"). Wink

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I don't read too well either Big Grin

Terry

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Wasn't 6,5X50 offered in Kurzsystem?

Cheers
/JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
To destroy a Kurz Mauser by modification would be akin to incest or child molestation...

Build yourself a nice 250 Savage on one and let it go at that, the action alone is worth a small bloody fortune as is...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC1,
the H&W newly manufactured kurtz,was about US$5500 for the complete action. The complete rifle was in the many 000's more.
I have happen to come across a picture of one:
http://www.martiniandhagngunmakers.com
look under "custom guns"
The Hein actions dont appeal as much as a mauser. Granite Mountain Mausers has discontinued its Kurtz length.
Collectors dont have to dispair I am not interest in an orignal. I prefer actions in modern chromemolly alloys with the high intensity cartridge loading of today.

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
To destroy a Kurz Mauser by modification would be akin to incest or child molestation...

Mr. Atkinson has such a way with words... jump

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodjack:
What is the limit to the length of cartridge that one can fit in a Kurtz?
If we can fit 375h&h,416Rigby in a std 98 that was originally designed for the 7mmMauser,what is possible with the Kurtz? Would a long throated 7x57 for 160,175gn pills fit?
What is the (magzine box)action length difference between a Kurtz,Std 98,and Magnum?

If you want something a little shorter that will work why not get a M48 Yugo (action, rifle)? They are a "medium" Mauser action a bit shorter than the 98. And they are plentiful and cheap...

Roi

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hello Ray,
If we are destroying a Kurz to fit a7x57, then surely we must also be destroying any 98 once we put a375h&h or 416Rig. in it, are we not?
The fact that people now produce the kurz action,does not make it so rare to me. I am not sentimental about things like that,I woul rather have anew high quality version anyday of the week.and like I said,I willnot be touching an original one.Since when has the 250 SAv. been the original cartridge that the little action was barreled in? Does not seem to be the authentic cartridge anyway for that rifle/action. Educate me on this one if I am wrong. Confused
TEX21, an M48 model I will consider.

I seem to have found part of my answer
http://www.labyrinth.codfiles.com/kar98k.htm
this site tells that the Kurz was chambered as a WWII military sniper rifle in 7.92x57
GunsAmerica has acouple of Kurz $4400-4900 at the moment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i believe about 6500 original K mausers were made,6.5x54 mauser,250 sav,8x51 mauser.51mmcase is about the longest that works,still gets 243 win,250-3000,6.5/08,7/08,308,358.the kar98k was not a kurtz length actionbut the standard 98 mil.mauser also made an intermediate length action rigby used on 275 rigbys,believe it was 09 ?small ring.use a33/40,vz33,or mex.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Woodjack:
Since when has the 250 SAv. been the original cartridge that the little action was barreled in? Does not seem to be the authentic cartridge anyway for that rifle/action. Educate me on this one if I am wrong. QUOTE]

The Kurz action was chambered for the .250 Savage by Mauser from before WWI. The majority of the custom rifles made on the Kurz were also chambered for the .250 Savage.
Fred Adolph a New York state gunmaker imported Kurz barreled actions and stocked them, they where chambered for the 6.5X54 Mauser and sold them as “. 25- Adolphâ€.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Montana old me that their SA is perfect for the 7x57. It's a bit longer than most SA's and will work fine.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
As in MRC 1999? I agree its a great action and the size is more intermediate than short. I will probably buy another befor eI'm gone but not if I wanted a petite rifle. Just NOT the way to go. It is longer than a Sako L61R and just about an 8th shorter than a CZ Safari in 416 Rigby and as big around as the CZ.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thankyou for the clarification Michael about the 250 Sav.
Check this little Kurz out: Eeker
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976520873.htm
someone please post this picture if you can.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
As in MRC 1999? I agree its a great action and the size is more intermediate than short. I will probably buy another befor eI'm gone but not if I wanted a petite rifle. Just NOT the way to go. It is longer than a Sako L61R and just about an 8th shorter than a CZ Safari in 416 Rigby and as big around as the CZ.

Yep, the MRC 1999 SA. You're right though, it's no junior miss.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodjack:

I beleive there is some confusion on your terminology here. I could not open the link for the 98K, but I think i know where you are going with that. The 98K was a Kurz as in short rifle, but it did not have a Mauser "kurz" action that was shorter than the standard 98. Mauser made 98 Kurz action sporting rifles in .250 Savage just like the 6.5x54 you posted a link to.

There is a world of difference between opening up a 98 for a .375 and opening up a Kurz for a 7x57. Millions and millions and millions of standard M98s were produced, with only a few thousands Kurz actions being made. Additionally, for quite some time it was all but impossible to get a M98 magnum length action that would take the .375 with no modification.

THe 1999 Montana action makes a damn fine boat anchor, but a small rifle action it aint!!!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote