THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limbsaver "Melting" UPDATED INFORMATION!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had a Limbsaver put on my BRNO .458 about 2 years ago.

I recently went to the safe and found the BRNO stuck to the floor of the safe - the pad seemed to have "melted". It was gummy and gluelike in a large spot where it was in contact with the safe floor and all around the edge of one side.

I thought: " Jeez, I must have touch it with some solvent or "wipe Out" - don't remember doing it - seems remote but...must have."

Took it to the gunsmith that did the work to repair or replace the pad - he said it's the third one he's had come back in a few months! And mine is the least "melted" of all!

Has anyone else had any such experience with Limbsaver Pads?

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I installed one 3 months ago, and it was sticky when new. I was afraid that after a while of getting dirty it would get all covered with fuzz.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of safari_hunter
posted Hide Post
Same happened to me. The factory pad of my CZ 600 was stuck on the floor of the safe not long ago.

Posts: 89 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I have seen posts elsewhere that these are great pads (I have them on 3 guns with no problem yet), but that they do "copmpress" over time when stored. YOur issue might be related to that. The answers I have seen are to put short small dowels in the screw holes of the pad so the pad does not acutally rest on the floor of the safe. Or to store the gun with barrel down. Some suggest that for keeping oil out of the action anyway. Just some things i have heard. Havent tried either one.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I would call limbsaver and talk to them on this, as they don't WANT them selg destructing...

there's a product called slickees, that puts a "plastic" coating on kickees pads.. might be worth trying, as I have become a limbsaver fan

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Is it heat releated I wonder?

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
LS will tell you to store your guns muzzle down.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have had exactly the same experience. I store my rifles in a closet with a dehumidifier. The closet is carpeted and if the leave the rifles in the closet for any period at all and try to pick them up they are stuck to the carpet and if you pull them up it generally will have left a stain on the carpet. The recoil pad seems to be unaffected but it sure *#)$'s up the carpet.

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been storing my guns muzzle down for years, it keeps oil out of the action and more importantly, out of the stock.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

Limbsaver says they "know of no problems" with their Limbsaver pads.

So we are going to grind off the damaged part and see what happens next. I'll also be looking for their tech experts at the SHOT show! [I'll take along one of the damaged pads!]

Please let me know if you or anyone you know had had a similar experience.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHowell:
UPDATE:

Limbsaver says they "know of no problems" with their Limbsaver pads.

So we are going to grind off the damaged part and see what happens next. I'll also be looking for their tech experts at the SHOT show! [I'll take along one of the damaged pads!]

Please let me know if you or anyone you know had had a similar experience.

Les

I had the butt plate off of a 50 cal come in because his "pad" was melting. It was like glue, literally sticking to everything it came in contact with. I wasn't a recoil pad as we would normally think of one, it seemed to be made of the stuff that Limb Savers are made of, but had more of a black colored bubble wrap appearance. I had to wear Nitrile golves to keep the crap from sticking to me as I cut it off. Never seen anything like it before, or since.

Having installed a fair share of Limb Savers, I will be interested in hearing what you learn...

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CPWD--maybe those pads should be quarantined.

quote:
I have become a limbsaver fan
Jeffe, that is because you are a 'BUBBA'

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I'm glad this got brought up here. I just replaced my a couple of weeks ago because of this. I thought I had gotten something on my pad, but couldn't remember doing it.

Really sticky. After looking at it, it sure seemed like the material was breaking down.

I ended up replacing it with another Limbsaver as I didn't want to try and mount another type.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Ozone might be the culprit. Electrical devices put out ozone.

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I put one on a .375 about 2 years ago and haven't had any trouble with it. It never stays in the safe much over a week or two at a time though so maybe it hasn't had time to "stick".

If it gives trouble it will be replaced with a Kick Eez. They don't last forever but they sure do their job well and clean up better at installation than Limbsaver IMO.

BTW - I've used Slick-Eez on competition shotgun pads. It seems similar to clear finger nail polish. It does the job but cracks and doesn't wear very well if you actually use the gun.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I spoke with the the Sims brothers at SHOT show last week regarding the "melting" Limbsaver pads. After a moment of confusion they did recalll that a bad batch of material was used some time ago and that they had experienced a softening from a couple of hundred "grind to fit" recoil pads.

They asked that they be contacted by whoever installed the pads and they would replace them at once.

My 'smith will be sending three back later today.

Les

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHowell:
I spoke with the the Sims brothers at SHOT show last week regarding the "melting" Limbsaver pads. After a moment of confusion they did recalll that a bad batch of material was used some time ago and that they had experienced a softening from a couple of hundred "grind to fit" recoil pads.

Great, now where did I put that melted recoil pad??? Oh yeah, it welded itself to the garbage bag and is now disolving somewhere in the local landfill. Doh!

Thanks for asking them about it! thumb

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a sticky fuzz covered Limbsaver on an 8.5 pound 300WM that pushes a 180 gr bullet at 3,000 fps.
The recoil does not hurt.
If they sent me a non sticky pad, I would not throw the old one away.
I love that padSmiler

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems like some of those "couple of hundred" bad Limbsavers made it to Australia . Have one less than 12 months old that is on it's way out .
Is it true that they are replacing them under warranty ?

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote